Becoming a senior need not be the end of an exciting life. Senior Citizens of all ages, both men and women, launch new careers, get married, travel extensively, or learn how to be featured in television commercials.
Age no longer matters for a host of upscale modeling agencies. Once, a clothing line model had to be anorexic. Today, those who model the Big is Better clothing line are overweight. It is an open market for seniors of all sizes and ages to launch new careers.
Middle age is no longer 40. People are healthier, live longer and the age of 60 is considered middle age. It is also retirement age, when seniors can change careers because they want to, and not because they have to. Money at this age, is usually not an issue.
Times have changed and so have hair styles and the clothing line. Once, when a woman turned 40, she tossed away her youthful styles, and settled for plain and dull attire. She was considered elderly, and dressed like it. These were the days prior to Woman’s Lib. Men worked and women stayed home and raised a family. The most exciting part of their day was when woman indulged in sharing coffee and gossip with their friends. I know because I was one of them.
Women have since become liberated. They not only look younger but feel younger as well. They color and style their hair and dress according to taste and not age. Many seniors, men and woman, take this time in life to launch new careers.
Many woman retire from their long term employment at age 65 or a bit younger, depending on circumstances and finances. Some enjoy working and miss it. Others bore easily at home and seek a different type of employment. One of the jobs that are available for seniors of all ages, types and weight, is to model clothing for catalog’s, magazines, newspapers and/or television commercials.This is a lucrative new career for seniors of all sexes, ages and sizes. I wanted to be like the other seniors who launch new careers.
If this interests you, the first thing to do is to take acting classes that also include methods of acting, speaking and presentations at a local Acting & Modeling School.
How to Get an Interview To Enroll in Acting School?
I had always wanted to act. Shortly after my retirement I came across an Acting and Modeling school a few miles from where I lived. Acting or speaking in public never bothered me. I wanted to learn to act, and make a living out of starring in commercials.
I telephoned the school and discussed the courses; the price, my interests and what my goal was. Within a week I was interviewed and accepted into the local Acting and Modeling School.
I signed up immediately and paid the enrollment fee. Believe it or not, I was on my way to becoming a television commercial acting star. Do you remember the older woman who made fame with the ‘Where’s The Beef” commercial? This is who I wanted to be like! I began to realize that it would take me months of practice in front of my mirror, along with schooling to get me to that point.
What is the First Step To Act in Commercials?
This is how seniors, both men and woman, who aspire to become an actor or model in television commercials begin. It was my goal since I heard that acting classes were available for those who wanted to learn how to act in television commercials.
Having a background in acting is the first step towards getting an interview with modeling or acting agencies. Seniors are primary targets for agencies these days. Mature Models are in demand. The latest clothes, hair styles on display in advertisements in stores and catalogs are geared for the older and more mature seniors regardless of sex.
Can Older Seniors Learn to Become a Catalog Model?
Modeling is an open field. Seniors who retire at the age of 65 can envision a long life ahead as a model in an industry that includes, catalogs, magazines, television commercials and more. No longer is fat out and skinny in. It is your personality that will land you the job.
How To Start a Career As a Television Commercial Star?
1. Locate a Modeling School in your area that teaches all ages and all sexes. Modeling is not merely for the women. Men models are in demand as well. Some modeling schools will only accept children.
2. Call and ask if they have classes for adult students, the proper procedure to enroll and what the course entails and, of course, the cost.
3. Do not be afraid to give your actual age when they ask. At times, older is better.
3. Do not lie and tell them you have acting experience if you do not.
4. Do not fib, even a little, about your weight. Keep in mind that you are going to meet them so how can you tell them you are a size 10 if you are really a size 20.
5. Prepare for the interview by looking your best. Cut or style your hair. Buy or wear an up to date outfit. It can be a dress, skirt and matching sweater or blouse, slacks or wrangler jeans and a shirt. Just look presentable. Girls, do not overdo the makeup.
6. When you meet, be honest and tell them why you want to learn how to act, your interests and the type of acting that interests you.Explain, that as a senior, you want to launch a new career.
7. In my case, the majority of the class were youngsters. Be prepared to learn and perform along with them. This is not a book and reading course. You have to learn how to perform to and act in front of others.
When you are done, thank the interviewer and tell them you will think about it, or fill out the application immediately. Sign the acting school contract, give a deposit, and you, a senior is ready to launch a new career late in life.