A Halloween party can be entertaining and fun for people of all ages, but it can also be very bad for the environment. Halloween parties are usually filled with many different things that get thrown away and put into our landfills every year. There is a trend of becoming more eco-friendly and it can be done in all aspects of our life. If you are going to host a Halloween party, you might not know you can be eco-friendly while doing so. Here are some good ideas you could use if you want to host an eco-friendly Halloween party this year.
1. Hosting a Halloween party can be turned into an eco-friendly decision by having the party outside. There are many different places you can have a Halloween party that are eco-friendly such as a local park or your own home. The first step to have an eco-friendly Halloween party is to choose an eco-friendly location. You might decide to have a Halloween party at a local farm in your community to become eco-friendly. An eco-friendly Halloween party can be done inside or outside depending on where you live and the location you choose. If you choose to have the party inside, try to think of ways to decrease light usage by using candles or natural sunlight from the windows. Being outside is a great way to be eco-friendly because of the fact you are using the sunlight instead of turning on a bunch of lamps like you would in your house.
2. Using eco-friendly decorations are another way to make your Halloween party better for the environment. If you use napkins and tablecloths, you should choose organic materials such as organic cotton for the fabrics. Decorating also could mean using items you have in your home that are festive and go with traditional Halloween themes. If you have any hemp rope around your house, you could use this to make a great doorway decoration or lampshade decoration. Look around your house to see what types of items you have and then coordinate a theme for your party based on those items and colors. You could also go outside to collect pine cones or leaves to make a centerpiece for your table. All you would have to do is collect the leaves or pine cones and then place them in a bowl or vase for an eco-friendly decoration. It is important when you think about eco-friendly decorations to utilize items you already have at your disposal. Using items from nature is great because you are not spending any money and you are not harming the environment either. Collecting some branches from a tree could be used also to make a scarecrow decoration for your living room or entrance to your Halloween party.
3. If you are going to serve foods at your Halloween party, try buying foods that are organic or all-natural. Organic food items are usually more expensive, but the reward in the end is worth it. For instance, if you like making foods from breads or rice then you can choose organic or all-natural varieties to give new life to an old recipe. You might also choose to have soy milk products at your Halloween party instead of regular milk for a fresher and more eco-friendly option. A lot of the organic food items are healthier for you and are often filled with essential vitamins and nutrients. If you have a natural food store in your area then this is the place to buy your food items for the Halloween party. They have a variety of food items you would normally purchase but the only difference is they are healthier and made from organic products.
4. Organic fruits and vegetables are two items you could use to both add decoration to your home and eat as well. You can get organic fruits and vegetables at your local grocery store or natural food store, and they are delicious. Think of using these items to add a decoration to your table or other location in your kitchen. You can use colors of fall such as orange, red, green and yellow to symbolize the Halloween party and be eco-friendly. Carrots, apples, squash, cucumbers, celery and even radish are all great fruits and vegetables you can get organic and they are very colorful for a decoration as well. Using a platter tray or other type of storage container will allow the fruits and vegetables to add a decorative touch to your Halloween party while being a food option for people.
5. To get into the Halloween spirit, you could also send out eco-friendly invitations for your party as well. There are many types of recycled paper you can buy to print your invitations or you can write them out by hand if you prefer. You can buy invitations with decorations on them to let everyone know it is Halloween or you can get plain invitations. When you go to the store, you just need to look for a Halloween invitation that says it is made out of recycled paper to know you are being eco-friendly.
6. The silverware and plates are also items that you could purchase made out of eco-friendly materials for your party. You could choose to use your own silverware and plates if you wish, but most people do not want to do that many dishes afterward. They have a lot of biodegradable plates and silverware in the grocery store, which are great eco-friendly alternatives. The products come in a variety of colors and sizes to choose from depending on the needs of your party. You can go to a local party supply store and pick up 100 percent biodegradable products that even have decorations on them for various events such as Halloween. The list of biodegradable products includes common party items such as napkins, plates, forks, spoons, knives, cups and bowls. Although you might pay a little more for the biodegradable items, it really is a great way to make your party eco-friendly.
7. Using a campfire at night is also a great way to make your Halloween party more eco-friendly if you are outside in the weather. Instead of using your furnace during the evening of your party, you could light a fire and all sit outside enjoying nature. Depending on where you live it might get pretty cold the night of your Halloween party, and you will need a source of heat. Using energy to heat your home during your party is not good for the environment and is a waste of natural resources. If it is evening time you should suggest everyone go outside to sit around a fire. You can also use this time to make treats for your party or just sit around the fire talking with each other.
If you use these tips then you will have an entertaining Halloween party that is eco-friendly as well. Being eco-friendly is not all about doing big things, but really is about all the little small changes you can make. The party will also probably be more enjoyable if people know you are being nice to the environment at the same time. You might even impress someone at the party to start becoming more eco-friendly at their own house.