Chocolate is just the tonic when you need a quick sugar rush. It is rich, sweet and satisfying. However, should you feed chocolate to your dog, as he sits and begs for a bite of your chocolate bar?
Chocolate is Toxic to Dogs
Chocolate is sweet to the human palate. Unfortunately, chocolate is toxic to dogs and should never be offered to dogs. According to the article Chocolate is No Treat for Pets, which appears on Pets.com, chocolate contains the alkaloid theobromine, which makes chocolate toxic if ingested by dogs.
If your dog ingests a large amount of chocolate, the theobromine will act as a poison in your dog’s system, which will require immediate medical attention from a veterinarian. The type and quantity of chocolate that has been ingested will determine the level of toxicity in your dog’s body. Some older dogs with heart problems have been known to die from cardiac arrest after eating chocolate.
Symptoms of Chocolate Toxicity
If you suspect that your dog has located a chocolate bar you left out and has ingested it without your knowledge, you should keep a look out for certain symptoms, which could indicate chocolate toxicity. Symptoms are not typical, as this will be based on how much chocolate your dog has eaten and the type of chocolate bar that he ate. Chocolate is No Treat for Pets goes on to state that it can take up to twelve hours for visible symptoms of chocolate toxicity to become manifest, so if you have fed your dog chocolate or suspect he has been eating chocolate while your back was turned, you should take him to the veterinarian immediately.
Some of the most common symptoms of chocolate toxicity include panting, vomiting, excessive drinking and urination as well as seizures. Do not ignore these symptoms if your otherwise healthy dog starts to exhibit these troubling symptoms.
How is Chocolate Toxicity Treated?
Treatment options will vary depending on how much chocolate your dog has eaten and how much time has elapsed since the incident took place. Some veterinarians will induce vomiting in dogs that have consumed just a small amount of chocolate. However, if several hours have elapsed, the veterinarian will need to take further action to block the absorption of the theobromine in your dog’s system. The veterinarian may need to keep your dog in hospital for treatment and observation.
Dog owners should never feed their dog chocolate. Chocolate toxicity can lead to serious health problems and even death.
Pets.com, Chocolate is No Treat for Pets.