Social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, Skype, and YouTube are used by most students these days. These sites have become so popular that most students sign on to one of them at least once a day. The internet is the new way for students to communicate, entertain themselves, find out the news, shop, and to research. The internet and social media sites can be used for good or bad, and many teachers are trying to find out ways to use these sites in their classrooms. Here are the top five disadvantages and advantages of using social media sites in the classroom.
The Top Five Advantages of Using Social Media in the Classroom
1. Setting up a Facebook page for the classroom can teach the students about how to use the internet and how to set privacy settings so that they can be safe when their on the internet.
2. Facebook can also be used to update students on changes to their assignments and for extra credit assignments.
3. If every student had a Twitter account they could use it to communicate with each other outside of school.
4. YouTube can be used to view important news reports to enhance a teacher’s curriculum.
5. Skype can be used for students to connect with other classrooms around the world when studying different cultures.
The Top Five Disadvantages of Using Social Media in the Classroom
1. Students could be viewing material that is inappropriate for the classroom.
2. Students could also take advantage of the time by checking their own Facebook or twitter accounts.
3. Some students’ parents may not want their children going on these sites.
4. If students and teachers put their information on a Facebook or Twitter site, they may be hacked.
5. Some students may over share information on their classroom Facebook page that may hurt them with future employers.
Take all of these things into considerations when deciding on whether or not to use social media sites in your curriculum. While there are real advantages to using social media sites to enhance your curriculum, there are also major disadvantages as well. Be careful.