1) Alcohol: Resist the temptation to have a nightcap before bedtime. Yes, a nightcap may help you fall asleep faster, but drinking one before bedtime only worsens your snoring problem. Alcohol causes your throat muscles to relax, which allows your tongue to fall back into your throat while you’re sleeping. This causes your airway to become blocked and triggers snoring.
2) Dairy Products: Do not consume any dairy products two hours before bedtime. They are loaded with fat content, which causes mucus to thicken in your throat. This makes normal breathing difficult at night and leads to snoring.
3) Obesity: Losing any excess pounds you have gained will greatly decrease your snoring problem. When you’re overweight, the fatty tissue in your neck and throat puts a strain on your airway. This makes breathing more difficult and will only cause your snoring problem to worsen.
4) Sleeping On Your Back: This is the worst position for you to sleep in if you have a snoring problem. When you sleep on your back gravity pulls your tongue down into your throat and blocks your airway, which results in snoring. The best position for you to sleep in is on your side. If you find it difficult to remain on your side, place a large firm pillow behind you. This will help prevent you from rolling over onto your back during the night.
5) Sleeping Pills: Taking sleeping pills to help you fall asleep is not a good idea at all. Not only can they be habit forming, but they also relax the muscles in your throat the same as alcohol does. Instead of using sleeping pills, try playing some soothing nature tunes at low volume to help you relax and fall to sleep.
6) Smoking: If you want to stop snoring, kick your smoking habit and stay away from others who do smoke. Cigarette smoke, including second hand smoke, irritates the lining of your nose and throat. This only worsens your snoring problem and it can also cause you to snore even louder.