After a steaming hot shower with your favorite deodorant soap or body gel, do you step immediately reach for your favorite perfume or cologne to layer your fragrance so tht you can feel fresh all day long? Most of us do. Our love for artificial fragrances and masking body odor at all expense has exposed us to a dangerous mix of chemicals and preservatives.
What are these chemicals and what is their potential for danger?
A deadly brew
Below is a list of 10 of some of the more popular ingredients found in personal care products from the article “List of 15 toxic chemicals to avoid in personal care products” http://www.naturalcosmetics.com/ :
1.Phthalates are synthetic chemicals used to make fragrances stable. These chemicals can cause endocrine disorders in the body.
2.Parabens – are everywhere. These preservatives can cause hormone-like changes in breast tissue.
3.Ureas – release formaldehyde in small amounts. Can also cause contact dermatitis.
4.1,4 dioxane – or aluminum laureth sulfate, polyethylene glycol (PEG) – chemicals that are carcinogenic.
5. Petrochemicals which include petrolatum, mineral oil and paraffin.
6.MEA/TEA/DEA – are ammonia compounds or “amines” which form nitrosamines when they come in contact with nitrates. These are cancer causers.
7. Sulfates – These include sodium lauryl and sodium laureth. These are chemicals that give soaps and shampoos their latherability.
8.Sunscreen chemicals such as oxybenzone and octyl methoxycinnamate disrupt endocrine activity.
9. Benzylkonium chloride, steardimonium chloride – these chemicals prevent static.
10.Triclosan and chlorphenesin – antibacterials that are added to personal care products which inhibit the growth of bacteria.
To view the full list, please visit: http://www.naturalcosmeticnews.com/ , “List of 15 Toxic chemicals to avoid in personal care procuts.”
The bottom line
Research the products that you and your family commonly use. With a little ingenuity, you can find safer and very pleasant alternatives.
For some suggestions, please visit:. www.sherelynne.blogspot.com
- The Relationship Between Perfumes and Allergies (brighthub.com)
- Feds should ban “dirty dozen” chemicals from personal care products: study (canada.com)
- Maria Rodale: Don’t Just Be Pretty: Have a Smart Beauty Routine (huffingtonpost.com)
- David Suzuki targets ‘dirty dozen’ toxic ingredients (cbc.ca)
- Marcia G. Yerman: What Price Beauty? New Legislation Seeks Safety Regulations (huffingtonpost.com)
Posted by Sherelynne at 3:26 AM 0 comments Email This BlogThis! Share to Twitter Share to Facebook Share to Google Buzz