Are today’s dentists finally realizing that people let their dental health go because going to the dentist is so unpleasant and costly. Many of today’s dentistry services are harsh, antiquated and impersonal.
As long as most of us can remember, going to the dentist has to be one of life’s most dreaded experiences, definitely not something one looks forward to.
Little has changed through out the years. The message dentists seem to give their patients is, “If you cannot conform to our style, tough!”
One usually avoids the dentist until there is a problem and pain, and there is no choice. You finally make an appointment. You know from past experience that once you get there, the news will not be good. You are in for a lot of pain and it will cost you. You will most likely hear those dreaded words root canal, crowns and gum scaling.
You prepare for the lectures, the pain, the expense, all because of your own personal neglect and poor hygiene. You have frittered away all your money paying the mortgage, feeding the family and keeping the car running instead of taking care of your teeth. You are not flossing enough. You have only yourself to blame.
There are scads of reasons people hate going to the dentist…A few are
- The nasty needle…It still hurts even though the numbing gel is supposed to lessen the pain. Waiting for the numbness to go away is surreal.
- The pain…We remember Dustin Hoffman in the Marathon Man torture scene and Steve Martin in Little Shop of Horrors.
- The anxiety and the temptation to cancel the whole thing.
- The drill…a medi-evil instrument still used today
- They put lots of stuff in your mouth to make you gag.
- The sounds, sights and smells…the conveyor belt atmosphere. You are not alone in your white knuckled misery. There are more victims just like you in the adjoining rooms just out of sight.
- The cost…today’s dentists are right up front with the cost. It’s pay as you go. No one gets a break. That dental insurance you have hardly makes a dent in your bill. It’s all about the money. You are a mouth with dollar signs.
- The lectures…no congratulations for being so brave and keeping your tears under control…. you are now in for a tongue lashing by the unhappy hygienist. What kind of woman chooses a career scraping teeth and making people’s gums bleed? She warns that unless you improve your flossing, you will be sent to the periodontist.
President Obama’s Health Care Bill doesn’t seem to address dental care, although he, Michelle and the girls all have beautiful smiles. Unfortunately few Americans can afford the dental care they need, and their health suffers,
With the whole process so daunting and expensive, dentists should be aware that their practices must be improved, if they wish to stay in business.
Enter Spa Dentistry…..dental treatments in a pampered, caring environment.
One dentist in Tampa Bay offers a holistic approach to dentistry with complimentary herbal teas, coffee, juice, muffins, hot neck wraps, and lemon scented hot towels.
Other amenities may be relaxation and aromatherapy, fleece blankets, neck pillows and heated hand mitts, reflexology, overhead TV, videos and music. Other perks may include spa- like décor, massage chairs before and after treatment, as well as pre-treatment meditation.
Holistic dentistry deals with the health and wellness of the patient rather than the disease. Holistic dentists receive the same training and offer the same services as regular dentists, but have extra training in alternative medicine such as acupuncture, reflexology and hypnosis.
Spa services may vary, but anything is an improvement. A relaxed patient is not only a satisfied patient but a good customer. The patient has choices. It is time for dentists to wake up and fix things.
*The above observations are the author’s own and are not intended to describe all dentists. She has just completed part 2 of deep root scaling and has 2 more procedures to endure, before they will simply clean her teeth.