Cauliflower when cooked with aromatic spices turns out to be a delicious side dish. This is a dry side dish and is a hit with those who love hot and spicy food.
1. Cauliflower- 1 (approx. 3 cups of florets)
2. Medium Size Red Potatoes-4
3. Green Peas-1/4 Cup
4.Oil- 4 Tbs
5.Cumin Seeds-1 tsp
6,Turmeric Powder-1/3 tsp
7.Salt-1 tsp (or to taste)
8.Medium Size Onion-1
9.Green Chillies-2 (optional)
10.Garlic- 3 cloves
11. Ginger- 1/2 inch
12.Medium Size Tomatoes-2
13.Coriander Powder- 2 tsp
14. Red Chilly Powder- 1 tsp (or to taste)
15. Garam Masala- 1/4 tsp
16. Sugar- 1/8 tsp
17. Cilantro- 10 sprigs
1. Cut the Cauliflower into mediu size florets. Cut Potatoes into big cubes. Chop Onion finely. Grate the ginger and garlic. Chop the tomatoes into small cubes. Finely chop the cilantro and cut the green chillies diagonally.
2. Put Oil in a non stick frying pan and set the flame of your stove to medium. In the hot oil, put the cumin seeds and once it starts to crackle, add in onions, green chillies and Potatoes. Add the salt and turmeric powder.
3. When you notice the onions beginning to change colour and potatoes starting to get a little brown on the sides, add in ginger and garlic. Stir fry for 2 minutes and then add the coriander powder, red chilli powder and tomatoes.
4. Once the tomatoes are cooked and you notice oil separating from the sides of the pan, add the cauliflower florets, green peas and mix well. Cover the Pan for 5 minutes and put the flame of the stove in simmer. In between, uncover and gently stir a couple of times to ensure that the bottom part doesn’t burn since we haven’t added any water to this dish so far. Also stirring has to be gentle so that the florets don’t break.
5. After 5 minutes, check to see if the potatoes and cauliflower are cooked through. If not, just sprinkle few drops of water and cover the pan for another 2 minutes. This is also the time to check for salt in the dish and if need be you could add according to your taste Next, uncover the pan, add the garam masala, sugar and chopped cilantro and gently mix.
6. Switch off the stove, cover the pan for another minute. After a minute, transfer the dish onto the serving bowl, so that the florets don’t get mushy. Hot steaming spicy Cauliflower comes to your table ready to enjoy.