Zerg seemingly has gotten the short end of the stick in Starcraft 2, but this guide entitled “Starcraft Strategies for Zerg 2: Tips for the “Other” Race” will provide some additional ideas for players trying to turn things around.
As a platinum-level player in 2v2’s I’ve seen a lot of tricks used effectively against Zerg players but they can be overcome with the right planning.
Here are some more Zerg tips and SC 2 strategies for players of the insect-like race.
1. Have a set build order: Zerg players have to be very efficient with their build orders, so check a site like teamliquid.net for new build orders to use such as the Roach faint which works well against Protoss and the Speedling expand or Baneling Bust which work well vs. Terrans that wall off their bases.
Once you get the basis of these build orders down you can go ahead and tweak them based on what your opponent does, what you scout, and where your strengths and weaknesses are as a player.
2. Learn to manage Queens: The Queen is perhaps the most important Zerg unit. If you can learn to hotkey them and effectively use them to spread creep and especially have larvae ready at all times, it makes a huge difference.
There are other more complex ways to manage them but I prefer to keep them on all even numbered-hotkeys and then double clicking the number of the hotkey to zoom to them on the game’s main screen before injecting larvae with “v.” Or you can learn to click on the minimap of your Hatchery with the “v” key to keep your current point of vision.
3. For this Starcraft strategies for Zerg 2 guide, remember to always use speed and flanking: If you attack head-on with Zerg you are at a huge disadvantage. The Zerg player should do most of their work all over the map and attack in the open field to wear down the army by flanking and surrounding them. That requires a higher APM than most players which is why some high-level players are working magic with Zerg recently in tournament games.
Harass constantly with Zerg and try to draw opponents out in the open and always scour the map for expansions and errant workers with Zerglings. Burrow units to the sides and try to bait the opponent into attacking before blitzing them from all sides.
4. Overlord Creeping on Expansions: To stave off expansions, use the Overlord’s generate creep ability acquired after getting the Lair to spread creep to likely expansions, this will give you a 40-second window to attack the expansion as the opponent will have to wait for the creep to dissipate.
5. Get an Overseer Early: Right after Lair, get an overseer to scout using the Changeling ability and also to spot Banshees or Ghosts or Dark Templars, all of which are threats posed by advanced players to Zerg in a big way.
Thatnks for reading an keep in mind that Zerg players are rare so far on Battle.net, giving them an advantage for those who know how to use them. That’s it for this version of the Starcraft strategies for Zerg 2, the second such guide published on Associated Content.