If you think that you have to change your entire lifestyle in one fell swoop to lose weight, you may be relieved to hear this. Making small changes and taking baby steps may be the most effective way to lose weight. Changing everything by leaps and bounds can wreak havoc in your life and body, causing loss of motivation and a complete shock to the system. By choosing smaller changes and implementing them into your daily life you are more likely to see changes in your body and have the motivation to take the next steps and maintain focus.
There are eight small changes you can start making today and you will feel better and have more energy. This will ensure success and help you effortlessly begin your weight loss journey. Here are the eight small changes you can make today!
1. Drink more water. We all know that water is essential for our bodies to function. But we have strayed from this rule of thumb and have been drinking soda, juice, and coffee, anything but water it seems. Drink more water, at least 64 ounces a day and you will have more energy and surprisingly feel fuller! Be sure to include a glass of water with each meal and snack as well.
2. Sleep more. Getting less sleep causes us to crave sugary and fatty foods. Getting at least 8 hours of sleep per night will help curb those cravings. Not to mention more energy, this is always a wonderful thing!!
3. Pack “snack bags” for convenient snacking. We love to grab and go, fast and easy is always the best snack. But why limit your options to pre-packed and processed foods? Chop up some celery and carrots, add radishes for some zip, and place them in small snack bags in the fridge. Then you can have a fast and healthy snack anytime you like. For a richer snack, combine ½ a cup of mini pretzels, ½ a cup of dark chocolate covered raisins, and ¼ cup of your favorite nuts into a small snack bag. This can satisfy your sweet tooth while offering a healthy option.
4. Skip the elevator. Whether it is daily at work, or when you are visiting friends in the hospital, take the stairs. Sometimes it is faster than the elevator and you get some exercise in the process.
5. Invest in a small pair of ankle weights. Put them on when you are doing housework, grocery shopping, or even while at work. This small amount of weight can make a big impact on your body when used consistently and often. Remember to increase the weight when the weights seem too easy to use.
6. Rake the autumn leaves. This is a fun way to get some fresh air and usher in my favorite season. Raking leaves can be a great cardio workout and even offers strength training. Have some fun and fill those orange bags for Halloween!
7. Reduce stress in your life. Take some ME time. Whether you like reading, taking hot baths, taking a drive, or seeing a movie on your own, take some time at least twice a week for yourself. Let your worries melt away while you enjoy yourself. What fun!
8. Partner up with a friend or family member. It is always easier to lose weight when you have someone alongside motivating you and participating with you. By pushing each other through the hard times and encouraging process, having a partner is a win-win situation.
These eight simple changes can be made today! Get started on your weight loss journey and enjoy the results that are sure to follow!