When you take part in fitness training, you should first participate in a warm-up exercise of stretching. This can help to prevent accidents or injury, but it can also enhance the output during training. However, there are stretching tips you should learn before you begin stretching and training. Here are 10 things you should know about stretching.
1. You should stretch before and after a workout. This will help you to increase your flexibility and avoid becoming injured. Most people know that you can prevent injuries during workouts by stretching beforehand. But they may not know that stretching afterwards can increase flexibility.
2. When you get into a stretching position, hold it for atleast a minute. Holding the position for twenty seconds is enough for warm ups. But if you told it for atleast a minute, then you can develop and increase your body’s flexibility.
3. Do not immediately go from a stretched position to a relaxed one repeatedly. Doing so can strain or damage some of the joints or muscles. When you stretch, hold the positions for several seconds (or a minute, as mentioned in the second tip), and then relax slowly. You can do this exercise this way repeatedly.
4. Instead of immediately doing the hardest stretching positions or exercises, you should start with the easier or smaller ones and work your way up.
5. Be sure that all of your muscle groups are stretched and warmed up. Some people tend to neglect the neck when doing their stretching exercises, but the neck muscles need to be stretched too. To do so, place the palm of your head against the front of the head and push it. Do the same for the sides and back of your head.
6. Be sure to stretch regularly, as it can increase your level of stength, flexibility, and the range of movements in your body.
7. When you stretch, only do what you are capable of, and do not worry about what everyone else can do. Do not do any type of stretching (or even exercises) that you are not ready for yet. If you do, you can risk becoming injured. Start with what you can do and increase it as you learn and stretch more. If you are too tired, not feeling well, or sore, reduce the range of motion so that your body is not overdoing it.
8. The eighth of the ten stretching tips is to make sure you rest between sets. This is important for stretching and exercising. Your body needs to recover and become energized again from all of the stretching and movements. Overdoing it can cause your body and muscles to become sore or even injured. Be sure to not work the same group of muscles consecutively for two days. Your muscles are growing when you are resting, but it is important for the body and muscles to get the rest they need.
9. Aerobic exercises can help to keep your heart strong and healthy, which is very important for your body. You can do cardiovascular exercises such as running and swimming. Of course you want to stretch before and after, like the first tip suggests. This way you can still warm up, prevent injuries, and keep your heart healthy!
10. Listening to music can help you to become motivated to stretch and even work out for awhile. You can listen to your favorite workout music on your mp3 player or iPod, CD walkman, or AM radio receiver that is lightweight enough for you to workout with. Of course you should use headphones or ear buds so that you do not disturb anyone else around you. If you are exercising in private, such as at home, then your CD player or radio without headphones will be okay to use.
There you go, ten stretching tips you should consider before starting your fitness training and routines. Stretching can decrease your chances of being injured and increase your limit. In addition, it can also do some good for a tired body or a reducing stress.