This salad is a knock-out show stopper and never fails to get rave reviews every time it is served. It’s healthy, it’s vegan, it’s easy to make, and it contains 9-10 superfoods. This is a perfect dish to take to a BBQ as a healthy alternative to a calorie loaded potato salad and it is also great to eat after a work out in order to refuel. With a delightful mixture of textures and colors, it delivers a perfect balance of salty and sweet from the intricate interplay of the beans, fruits and vegetables.
I dare you to try this salad and not fall in love!! However, it is important to use only FRESH ingredients when making this dish, nothing out of a can (except the beans) or from the freezer. If this is not strictly adhered to, it compromises the integrity and the flavor of this dish.
4 cans of drained black beans
4 ears of cooked corn cut fresh off the cob (can or frozen corn is NOT the same)
2-3 fresh plum tomatoes (diced)
½ small red onion (chopped)
1 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
2 oranges peeled & cut into small pieces or 1 cup of FRESH pineapple cut into small pieces
1 grapefruit or ½ of a pomello, peeled & cut into small pieces
½ cup of fresh chopped cilantro
1 cup of fresh lemon or lime juice
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp ground cumin
Freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside. This can be made up to 24 hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator to help the ingredients incorporate.
2. Rinse & drain the beans
3. Cook the corn in boiling water for 6-10 minutes. Drain well. Let cool, and cut off the cob, set aside.
4. In a large bowl, toss together beans with all the fruit and vegetables.
5. Toss the salad with the dressing, making sure everything is well coated.
6. Chill in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes and add fresh chopped cilantro right before serving.