With a little creativity, we satisfied our burger cravings with a healthier option – a veggie-loaded turkey burger. With peppers and onions worked into the patty and a poblano pepper on top, you can’t go wrong with this spicy, healthy meal! We paired it with some zesty curly fries!
1 lb. ground turkey
A1 Steak Sauce
Red bell pepper
Green bell pepper
2 slices of pepper jack cheese
1 large poblano pepper
2 wheat hamburger buns
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Place the poblano pepper in an oven-safe bowl. Drizzle the pepper with olive oil, and stick the bowl in the oven.
3. Chop up a quarter of the red pepper, the green pepper and the onion. The pieces should be fairly small – a quarter of an inch thick at most. Mix the veggies together.
4. Mix the veggies and ground turkey in a bowl using your hands.
5. Split the turkey into two balls. Flatten these slightly to make your patties.
6. Mix equal parts A1 and Worchestershire in a bowl.
7. Heat up a small dollop of olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. We like to use a ridged grill pan. It gives you those cool grill marks!
8. Brush the tops of both patties with your sauce. Using a spatula, move these patties into the pan. Make sure to place the sauce-side down.
9. While in the pan, brush the tops of the patties with your sauce. Now your patties should be fully covered with the sauce.
10. Watch your meat. Flip as needed. The cook time depends on how thick you’ve made your patties. As your patties get close to being done, take your poblano out of the oven.
11. Slice the poblano in half. Cut off the top and rinse off any seeds.
12. Place a slice of pepper jack cheese on each pattie. Then put a poblano pepper half on top of that.
13. Cover the pan and let your patties cook another 3 minutes.
14. Toast your buns.
15. Place your patties on your buns, load on the mustard and ta-da! Delicious turkey burger at your service.