Ever since MTV Video Music Awards host Chelsea Handler suggested to Ryan Seacrest on his radio show last week that Kanye West and Taylor Swift be reunited at this year’s show after last year’s PR nightmare for Kanye, it got me thinking about scenarios in which that would be awesome. Nothing’s official yet, but that incident was all anyone could talk about for months afterwards. They HAVE to make at least a mention of it. If done the right way, it can provide a hilarious piece that shows that Taylor has moved on and forgiven Kanye for embarrassing her and that Kanye isn’t as much of a jerk anymore. Here are five suggestions that could make a reunion awesome instead of pointless and dumb.
1. They could open the show with a video re-enactment of the incident from last year, with Chelsea Handler playing Taylor and someone else playing Kanye, and then the real Taylor and Kanye could come in and say how the real one was “the best VMA moment of all time,” and then welcome everyone to the show.
2. They could present an award together, and pictures could show up behind them of Beyonce doing various things, and Taylor could comment on how Beyonce has a better bikini body, better hair, better “insert something here.” He could just sit there and take it, before saying “Yeah but does she make an ass of herself in front of everyone at the MTV VMA’s?” Little gags like that can be corny, but they can be funny as well.
3. Kanye is scheduled to perform, so Taylor should introduce him. She could either be serious, or funny, but either way it would show that she’s forgiven him for embarrassing her, and maybe then the rest of the world will drop it.
4. During Kanye’s scheduled performance, he could be in the middle of a song when all of a sudden one of Taylor’s hit songs starts playing from the speakers. He could stand there and look stunned for a moment, and then start singing along. How funny would it be to see him paying homage to Taylor’s success right now, after he took a lot of fun away from her award last year? Or finally…
5. …they could just simply do a duet together. Pick one of his songs to remind everyone that he is still a good artist, even though he does stupid things, or pick one of her songs because everyone loves her music right now. It would be a fun way for Kanye to show that he isn’t a totally overbearing egomaniac, and that Taylor is just as cool as we already know she is. He’s already set to perform, so why not make it memorable?
Even though it’s not 100% official that they will be reuniting at all, it would a huge ratings boost for MTV, who is already raking it in due to Jersey Shore, it would be great for Kanye’s image (although the world has stopped hating on him as much lately), and finally, it would only further show how sweet Taylor is. Tune into the MTV Video Music Awards on September 12, where the show will be aired live from the Nokia Theater at 9pm EST to see if anything goes down.