Kitchens all over America are filled with every kind of food you can think of. Some of this food is packaged and processed, while other food is canned, frozen, organic and even fresh.
Some of this food is good for you and some of it can be unhealthy for you if eaten on a regular basis. How can you tell if the food your eating is good for you? Sometimes it can be difficult to tell which food is good to eat. It is a learning process.
Here are 5 of the best healthy foods to keep in your kitchen. Consider these choices when you buy groceries.
1. Apples – this is a very good fruit to always keep on hand. There is a wide variety of apples to choose from. Apples have a lot of vitamin C and fiber in them. They can be eaten as a snack. They can be eaten whole or sliced up. Apples can be eaten just as they are or with different toppings on them. Apples can be used in salads and also in baking. Apples are very good to have around during the fall season. Apples don’t cost a whole lot of money usually $.50 to $.75 each. This will depend on the variety of apples you want.
2. Sweet Potatoes – this is a very good vegetable to have in your kitchen. It seems like some people like sweet potatoes and some don’t. It’s a personal taste. Sweet potatoes are very good for you and have a lot of fiber in them. There is also vitamin A and vitamin B6. Sweet potatoes are good any time of the year, but they work in well with Thanksgiving. Sweet potatoes can be used as part of a main meal or can work well in side dishes. Sweet potatoes are very filling and it won’t take much to fill you up.
3. Eggs – these are a must have in any kitchen. Eggs are inexpensive compared to some other food items. Eggs are very good for you. They have a lot of protein and also have riboflavin, vitamin B12 and phosphorus. Eggs can be fixed and eaten in a number of ways. You can fry, hard boil, soft boil and poach them. You can make egg sandwiches, deviled eggs and omelets with them. You can also use them in baked items.
4. Peanut Butter – is a heart healthy food item to always keep on hand. Adults as well as kids like peanut butter. Peanut butter has fiber and protein in it. Peanut butter can cost $1.99 to $4.99 depending on the size and brand you want. Peanut butter is good on snack items and to use in some things you bake. Sandwiches are good with a little peanut butter and jelly.
5. Spinach – is a very good and healthy vegetable to keep on hand. It is a vegetable that some kids will eat and some won’t. Spinach has a lot of vitamins in it. There is folic acid, vitamin K, vitamin A, and vitamin C. Always try to get fresh spinach instead of canned. It tastes a lot better and is more appealing. Spinach can be used in salads instead of lettuce. You can make casseroles and pasta dishes with spinach. Spinach is not very expensive.
Keeping these healthy foods in your kitchen will help you keep your family eating more nutritionally. Anything fresh is better then processed and teaching our families this is the best thing we can do for them.