The following pink champagne cake with hand-dipped chocolate covered strawberries and homemade whipped cream was created for an entry into a food blogging contest. The theme was to develop a luxury dinner menu and this cake was the star of the show.
While the pink champagne cake is luxurious it is relatively simple to make. The cake should be refrigerated for at least an hour prior to serving and leftovers should be returned to the fridge. I make the homemade whipped cream and chocolate dipped strawberries while the cake is baking. This provides sufficient time for the chocolate to harden and the whipped cream to thicken up.
Be certain the champagne cake is completely cooled before adding the whipped cream frosting. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a runny mess. The cake density is similar to pound cake, but has the airiness of Angel food cake. It is perfect for special occasions including anniversaries, birthdays, and holidays; especially Valentine’s Day.
Pink Champagne Cake Recipe
Serves: 8 to 10
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 38 to 40 minutes
4 to 6 large strawberries, washed and dried, stems and leaves removed
2/3 cup unsalted Butter, room temperature
1-1/2 cups granulated Sugar
2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
2-3/4 cups Swans Down cake flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
3/4 cup Pink Champagne
6 Egg Whites, stiffly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Lightly grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
3. Cut strawberries into quarters and place in food processor. Gently pulse until strawberries are pureed. Set aside.
4 In medium mixing bowl, separate egg yolks from eggs and place egg whites in bowl. Using hand held mixer beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; about 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter. Add sugar and vanilla extract and beat until creamy.
6. Add flour, baking powder, salt and champagne. Beat on high for 2 minutes.
7. Fold in beaten egg whites and strawberry puree.
8. Pour half of cake batter into each cake pan. Bake for 38 to 40 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
9. While cakes are cooling, prepare chocolate dipped strawberries and whipped cream icing.
10. Once cakes are completely cooled, it’s time to add the icing and chocolate covered strawberries.
11. Place one cake layer on cake stand. Using a cake knife carefully remove upper crust to create a flat surface. Spread a thin layer of whipped cream icing on top.
12. Trim top off second layer and evenly spread remaining icing on top and sides.
13. Gently remove chocolate covered strawberries from plate. Place 8 strawberries around the outer edge of cake and position 2 strawberries in the center.
14. Slice cake into 8 to 10 pieces and serve with a glass of pink champagne.
Hand-Dipped Chocolate Covered Strawberries
Yield: 10 strawberries
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Chill Time: 10-15 minutes
10 large strawberries, washed and dried, stem and leaves intact.
1 tub (7 oz) Baker’s Dipping Chocolate
Melt Baker’s dipping chocolate according to package directions. Dip strawberries in chocolate and place on plate to dry. Store in refrigerator until ready to decorate cake. Allow to warm up before removing from plate.
Homemade Whipped Cream Icing
Yield: 2-1/2 cups
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Chill Time: 30 minutes
1 cup heavy Whipping Cream
1/4 cup Confectioner Sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1/4 cup Pink Champagne
1. In medium bowl, beat heavy whipping cream until stiff; about 2 minutes.
2. Add sugar, vanilla, and pink champagne and beat until incorporated; about 20 seconds. Be careful not to overbeat whipped cream or it will turn out like cottage cheese. Store in refrigerator until ready to frost champagne cake.