Who doesn’t love Britney Spears? Even if you don’t like the musical artist, you have to admit that you love her just a little. She’s an icon and (for better or worse) a major role model for the younger generations. So why not take what we’ve learned from her and apply it to the world of diet and fitness?
No, this isn’t the queen of pop’s official diet and fitness routine. These are just a few Britney-isms to help you out at the gym, the grocery store, and wherever else you need a little Brit to get fit:
(1) Ignore your critics. From the very beginning of her career, there have been critics saying that Britney Spears was undertalented, unattractive, overhyped, and overpaid. You know what the best answer Britney has for those critics? Repeated #1 hits.
If you’re getting started on a new diet and fitness program, it’s likely you have your own critics. Whether they’re the people around you or your own inner voice telling you that you can’t do this, the best answer is to just rock out and prove them wrong. They might still be talking you down tomorrow, but if you answer them by proving them wrong again and again, they’re going to start sounding a lot quieter.
(2) Feeling hot is half the battle. Britney has had her low times, but when she bounces back, she bounces back in style…complete with a new look. You don’t have to get sexy every time you want to work out or hit the grocery store for some healthy choices, but you might want to take Britney’s lead and do what you can to make yourself feel better about how you’re presenting yourself to the world, since that can be a big message about how you value yourself.
Skip the makeup at the gym, but go for clothes that are comfortable but also make you feel good. At the grocery store, do something that will remind you that you love your body and want it to feel good. That might mean a cute outfit and makeup or it might just mean smoothing out your ponytail. Whatever you can do on the outside to make yourself feel powerful on the inside is definitely worth it. Don’t worry, others will get the message.
(3) Sometimes, you just have to go a little crazy. Britney Spears was crazy successful before she even turned twenty. Still, she had her low moments and needed to let loose and just freak out a bit. Were we worried? Yes…but the pop star came back and got right back to work.
If you hit a moment in your new lifestyle where you just can’t continue, you have a couple of options. You could totally change things up and do something radical, like taking up a new sport or trying a raw foods diet for a couple of weeks. Then again, in a more likely scenario, you could fall off the wagon and slip back into old habits. Is that scary? Yes…but it doesn’t mean you can’t bounce back. Nothing (not even a shaved head) means you can’t turn it all around tomorrow and get yourself back in control, so don’t beat yourself up too much if you lose it a little bit from time to time. It happens, even to pop stars.
(4) Hit it (baby), one more time. Just when you think Britney is washed up and she can’t possibly release a new hit single, a song comes out in clubs across America and you find yourself dancing to it whether you want to or not.
You’ll hit moments in your new lifestyle, particularly while working out, where you think you don’t have any more to give. The good news is that you do! So, surprise yourself and pull out one more crunch or another lap around the track. Shocking those inner critics with your staying power is just part of the fun.
(5) Use the music. At her best and worst times, Britney has fallen back on the music and that’s exactly what will get you through those workouts. Crank your tunes on your iPod (maybe 20 or so of Britney’s finest) and challenge yourself to work until the music stops. Extra points if you keep it on shuffle!