This article was written for the purpose of making public our guidelines for critiquing businesses. Connoisseur Critics make physical visits to the businesses we report on, putting their services to the test. Businesses are not given any type of warning of our visits so as to observe them in their natural everyday practices. Here are our guidelines for making our projects available to the public. (All businesses are graded on the same basic points, but restaurants, lounges, and wineries are given extra points of grading which are outlined below)
All businesses are critiqued on the following points:
1. Cleanliness of the Establishment. Yes, we look at it all – the floors, the corners, the fixtures, the merchandise, the greeting area, the restrooms and any other area that is open and available for the public to witness or to use.
2. The Staff. We look at the body language, the verbal language, and the helpfulness of the staff. In addition, as per the type of business we also observe the overall appearance and cleanliness of service staff which includes retail shopping businesses, bars, restaurants, and medical facilities.
3. Business Process. For this point we look at the way in which the business runs. We take into consideration the processes that are to make their businesses run smoothly as per the type of business it is. As a general rule, we look at timing, ease of transactions, and the ability of the staff to work together as a team to fulfill what their business is supposed to do should that be applicable.
4. Appeal. This includes the look and consumer appeal of the storefront for all establishments. We look at the businesses parking availability, landscaping, and signage.
5. Website and Media. For this last category for all businesses, we look at the business’ website if there is one available. We also search for print media advertisements and listen / view and research radio and television media presence. Some businesses rely upon word of mouth for all of their advertising and that is also taken into consideration when grading on this point. If we do not find this type of presence, it will be stated in the reports that we give our readers.
In addition to these points, some businesses are also graded on other things as well.
Restaurants, bars, and other service establishment of this particular service type are graded on:
1. Presentation of the goods or how appealing the meal or drink is to the senses.
2. Price of goods and services provided.
3. Ambiance of the establishment.
It is the policy of Connoisseur Critics to never give a report on taste of these goods that these types of establishments serve as taste is a matter of personal presence. We will, however, make menu suggestions from time to time.
We are an independent critiquing service that is neither hired nor influenced by the owner(s), staff, or anyone with any interest in the business. Our reports are independent and are intended as entertainment reading for those that happen upon our articles/reports. The way a business chooses to use these reports is solely at their discretion and not in any way influenced by the staff or writers of Connoisseur Critics.