OK, anyone who read last week’s entry likely got the impression that I was pretty lukewarm about the new Monday night drama-of-the-confusing, The Event. There was a lot of interesting stuff going on there, but it was next to impossible to figure out quite what it was. Fortunately for us, episode two came along just in time, and whilst it did open up a bunch of fresh questions, it put lots of last week’s questions to bed in short order.
The big two questions from last week were 1) What was being hidden under the mountain in Alaska? And 2) What the heck happened to the airplane that was about to crash into the President of the United States at the last possible minute?
Regarding Q:1, the mountain is a Guantanamo Bay type detention center for a bunch of aliens that were intercepted around the time of World War II. These aliens, however, were not the type that Sigorney Weaver dealt with in the Alien movies, or anything like. No, these aliens look and act just like people. In fact, genetically, they are 99% the same as human beings. Odds are that they can breed with humans. I am not sure where these aliens come from, but it seems unlikely that they are from very far away in space. I suspect that the inhabitants of Illinois are 1% divergent from us Californians, so maybe they are just Canadian or something. In any case, they are real similar aliens – their one significant difference from human beings is that they age much more slowly and they live longer. (My God! I just realized – my aunt Celestine was an alien!)
Now the president is a cool, well-spoken, black man who is reminiscent of Mr. Obama. When his aids finally decide to show this secret detention center to the pres, he throws a fit and decides that they have to release all these unlawfully detained aliens (though our constitution does not discuss the rights of aliens anywhere, I do not believe), but once he realizes that some aliens were behind the attack on him, he throws a tizzy fit, and decides that it is OK with him to keep them interned.
And that, surprisingly, brings us to Q:2, What happened to that airplane? To re-cap, last week while the president and family were attending a garden party, an airplane was hijacked and was sent rocketing towards them. At the last possible minute the plane disappeared into a swirl of blue, and everyone was left with mouths agape. So, this week we find that the aircraft has been transported to the Arizona desert. The good news: All, or most of, the passengers survived the accident! The bad news: They were all butchered in some sort of weird government experiment. No, we don’t know why yet, but there it is.
Now the dude who lost his girlfriend on the cruise ship last week, Michael, is still looking for her. He is ended up wandering away from the airplane wreckage before the DMV came along to kill everyone else, and going to a hospital, and was found to be delirious after telling the nurse his story. So he insists that she call the cops, and the cops come over and arrest him for murder. The police who take him into custody are driving down the freeway near Yuma, and there is a blockade near where the plane crash is – the police running the blockade claim that there is some sort of a wreck on the freeway, and that they cannot continue due to some toxic waste spill, or some such, but, in fact, it is because of the volume of dead bodies. Sad.
New questions raised? Sure. Mostly, as my daughter would say, WTF? Look it up. I read a description of The Event on the Internet recently that called it the love child of Lost and 24, and I am starting to buy that. There is a sense that each episode scatters a bunch of random facts about, and then they sort them out the following week. Then they scatter a bunch more, and sort them out the following week again. Lost built big questions, and, no, they did not answer all of them, but the desire to know what the heck was going on kept viewers coming back. It did not seem like a trick. The Event is much less engaging than that. Still, I will be back for Week 3, and I hope that you will join me here for some hot re-cap action.