“The Office” is abundant with funny, repeatable quotes. Of all of the great lines, “that’s what she said,” tops the list. The words are Michael Scott’s go-to joke, but many of “The Office” characters have also spoken the phrase. This saying has been used to not only provide humor, but to express frustration and friendship as well. Even though “that’s what she said” is repeated many times, it never gets old and is always funny.
Top 5 “that’s what she said” moments on “The Office:”
5. In Season 4, Michael Scott decides to immortalize himself in fresh cement on the episode “Did I Stutter?” In the opening scene, Michael is debating how he should make his mark on the wet cement. Jim suggests using his face. Dwight encourages Michael to really make his mark after pressing his face into the cement, and Michael never misses a chance to use his favorite line.
Dwight: “Force it as deep as you can.”
Michael: “That’s what she said.”
4. Michael and Jan invite a small group for dinner in “Dinner Party” in Season 4 of “The Office.” The tension is thick in the air, and Michael and Jan continually make odd and awkward statements to one another. It culminates in a hilarious “that’s what she said” exchange between the two (and after, Jan throws a Dundee award into Michael’s very small television.)
Michael: “Man I would love to burn your candles.”
Jan: “You burn it you buy it.”
Michael: “Oh good. I’ll be your first customer!”
Jan: “Your hardly my first.”
Michael: “That’s what she said!”
3. On Season 5 of “The Office,” Pam has left to attend art school in New York. In order to keep in touch, Jim and Pam each wear a tiny Bluetooth in “Customer Survey.” Jim is trying to talk to Kelly about his poor customer survey responses, while Pam listens in. Pam experiences a bit of work nostalgia and uses Michael’s classic line.
Kelly: “Dwight get out of my nook.”
Pam: “That’s what she said! That’s what she said! That’s what she said!”
Jim: “Nice one.”
2. “The Injury” is a classic episode from Season 2. Michael Scott burns his foot on the George Foreman grill located beside his bed. He claims to be seriously injured. Dwight rushes to his aid and suffers a concussion from a car accident in the parking lot. Michael and Dwight end up at the hospital, and Dwight shares a funny moment with the doctor and glances slyly at the camera. Michael is visibly upset Dwight has stolen his joke.
Doctor: “Does the skin look red and swollen?”
Dwight: “That’s what she said.”
1. In Season 2, “Sexual Harassment” the Scranton Dunder-Mifflin branch is undergoing sexual harassment training due to an inappropriate joke shared by Michael Scott. After sharing with his staff that he will no longer be telling jokes and be being funny, the following interaction between Jim and Michael leads to the top “that’s what she said” moment on “The Office.”
Jim: “Does that include ‘That’s what she said?'”
Jim: “Wow that must be really hard. You really think you can go all day long? Well, you always left me satisfied and smiling, so…”
Michael: “Mmm…that’s what she said!”
The Office Quotes (NBC) The Original Quotes Fansite