When most people think of innovative industries, they don’t think of pet care. When I was a child a pet care product for most families meant a doghouse and a ball. Of course my family wasn’t like most families, my mother inducted me into Wild Life Rescue at the age of 11, and by 13 we had enough abandoned animals in our home to start our own petting zoo. The mailman finally refused to deliver to the house because our pigeons kept landing on his head; the Alhambra Man would bring the water bottles no closer than where the driveway met the street for fear of our dogs. In those days pet stores sold pets.
The year is now 2010. In-home petting zoo’s are illegal, pet psychologists have their own reality shows and pet strollers are proudly pushed through malls across the country. Yes, the pet care industry has come along way. Despite the economic climate The American Pet Products Association forecasts sales of $47.7 billion in 2010, up nearly $3 billion from 2009. So lets see what’s so special about these pet care products by looking at the top 10 pet care products of 2010.
- Zoomback Personal GPS Locator for Dogs – GPS collars have been around for some time, but 2010 brought us smaller collars, with longer battery life at affordable prices.
- Safe Behind Bars – An adjustable harness for small dogs and cats that keeps them safely contained within a fenced yard. Specifically for puppies that are still small enough to slip through fence railings.
- Espree Facial Cleanser – Anyone with Yorkies will appreciate this oatmeal based facial cleanser. You can apply it liberally and scrub buildup around the eyes without worrying about the discomfort from traditional chemicals.
- BooBooLoon – Replacing the traditional neck cone that dogs and cats wear after a surgical procedure, the BooBooLoon is an inflatable substitute that looks good and appears to be a lot more comfortable.
- Doggie Doo Drain – The doggie dew drain is an apparatus that attaches to your outdoor sewer or septic line. The dogs waste is put into the receptacle and the waste is deposited in the same way as a toilet.
- PortaPet PortaBed – While appearing to be similar to traditional travel beds, the PortaBed combines the features of a ‘pet suitcase’ and pet bed in one. Closed it’s storage for your pets road trip, opened and it’s a travel bed for your pet.
- KatKabin DezRez – This cat house/carrier is not only fashionable, the inner sleeve is removeable depending on the time of year, and a removable cat flap.
- The Canine Lifejacket – It’s a step-up from traditional floating devices by keeping the dog afloat while maintaining a natural swimming position.
So there you have it! The latest and greatest pet care products of 2010. If you’d like to see more take a look at the upcoming Global Pet Expo headed to Orlando Florida in 2011.