If you don’t have very much money for craft supplies plain white paper plates can be used to make wonderful winter themed crafts for preschoolers that are both inexpensive and easy to make. Whenever I make winter crafts with young children I love using paper plates in place of construction paper whenever possible and have come up with several fun craft projects. Three of my favorite winter themed paper plate craft projects to make are paper plate snowflakes, paper plate igloo’s and paper plate penguins.
How to Make Three Fun and Easy Winter Themed Paper Plate Crafts
Paper Plate Snowflake
These cute paper plate snowflakes are easy to make and look beautiful decorating a bulletin board or hung from the ceiling.
White paper plates
White ribbon or yarn
1. Fold a paper plate in half and then in half again.
2. Use scissors to cut shapes on the folds and edges of the paper plate.
3. Open the paper plate and place flat on top of a piece of newspaper.
4. Spread the glue all over the paper plate.
5. Sprinkle glitter all over the glue.
6. allow to dry and then use a hole punch to punch a hole in the top of the snowflake.
7. Cut a piece of ribbon and poke through the hole.
8. Knot the ribbon to make a loop for hanging.
Paper Plate Igloo
Preschoolers will love using mini marshmallows to decorate this cute paper plate igloo. Once their igloos are covered fix each child a cup of warm cocoa with some of the leftover marshmallows.
Black construction paper
1. Cut a paper plate in half.
2, Cut a U shaped door out of black construction paper and set aside.
3. Spread glue on one half of the paper plate.
4. Glue the black door on the bottom edge of the paper plate.
5. Give each child a pile of mini marshmallows and let them glue on their igloo shape.
6. Allow glue to dry and then display on a winter themed bulletin board.
Paper Plate Penguin
This cute paper plate penguin uses both large and small paper plates and looks great when used as part of a winter themed bulletin board.
Large paper plates
Small paper plates
Plastic container to hold paint
Orange construction paper
Large wiggle eyes
Plastic table covering
1. Draw a large heart shape in the center of the small paper plate.
2. Use black paint to paint around the heart shape leaving the center white.
3. Allow to dry.
4. Paint a second small paper plate completely black, allow to dry and then cut in half.
5. Give each child a piece of orange construction paper and have them cut out a pair of feet and a triangle shaped beak.
6. Glue the beak in the center of the paper plate that has the heart shape.
7. Glue a wiggle eye on either side of the beak.
8. Glue the feet to the bottom of a white paper plate.
7. Use the hole punch to punch a hole on the bottom of the penguin face and at the top of the white paper plate.
8. Use a paper fastener to attach the penguin head to the body.
9. Attach the two black paper plates to the top of the penguin body.
10. Display on a bulletin board, door or in a window.
No matter what you make with them paper plates are a great craft medium that can be used to make several different craft projects and are a must have for any preschool teacher.
Source: Personal Experience