Working moms feel pulled in so many directions trying to balance a career and a family. Schedules can get very busy and sometimes a little more than hairy. In addition to packing lunches the night before, laying out everyone’s clothes and having backpacks and laptop cases by the door, what else can simplify a busy mom’s schedule?
1. A calendar is necessary whether it is a virtual calendar, Day Runner or family schedule kept in a central location. The key to keeping a good schedule for busy moms is to schedule “calendar time” as a regular appointment. A calendar will not do a busy mom any good if it is not kept current and up to date.
2. One of the best things a busy working mom can give herself is a cleaning service every other week to do the tough stuff. Keeping the house picked up is simple when the big stuff is already done.
3. Cook extra every other night so the next night is leftovers. Some busy mothers find it easier to cook a week worth of meals on the weekend and freeze them for the week.
4. Set reminders for yourself on your Blackberry, iPhone or other gadget to remind yourself of appointments, birthdays, events, etc. Set reminders for one week out, three days out and so on depending on the time needed to prepare.
5. When you purchase a birthday gift, purchase two. Give one gift and put the other gift in a designated place in your home. You will never be caught “short” without a gift for a last minute birthday party. Same thing goes for greeting cards.
6. Combine tasks when possible – – pay bills online while watching a movie with your family, review homework while cooking dinner, schedule appointments with your cell phone while sitting in line at the bank.
7. If your children are involved in sporting or other extracurricular activities, talk to other moms in the group and organize carpools or swap babysitting services one night per week so that each mom can have a night to get things done without the kids at home.
8. Set up a filing system and use it! Stop wasting precious time looking for documents in stacks of papers – – make a place for them and keep them there for when you need them.
9. Get a hairstyle that is quick and easy to style. Simple and easy can also equal sexy and fabulous.
10. Learn to shop online. Almost anything including groceries and prescriptions can be delivered directly to your home now.