Do you want to have a successful Garage Sale? Here are some tips to help.
1. Advertise In the paper -Get your garage sale listed in the paper. This is a great way to marketing the event and get more customers coming in. You can split the cost with another home owner by also listing their garage sale in the advertisement. Also mention the items that you are selling. Baby clothes, children’s toys, vintage items, movies, and more will attract more buyers.
2. Place signs out – Make sure you place signs at the end of the roads coming onto your road and in your yard making it easier for customers to find your sale.
3. Pick the right day – Try to pick a weekend day or at least the end of the week. Avoid holiday weekends as this could deter people from coming as they might have other things going on. Also keep an idea on the weather so you get a comfortable day for your customers.
4. Get rid of your cars and make room – Try moving your cars to the road to make room for customers and make it easier to see that you are having a garage sale.
5. The right price – Don’t overprice items. Remember this is a garage sale, not a pawn shop. People are expecting to find great deals and they will argue pennies off the price of your items. If you want things to go, then be realistic in your pricing attempt.
6. Be willing to negotiate – You will get some customers who like to wheel and deal to get the best price. They will even argue over a nickel.
7. Bulk sale – Make deals and group items together in order to make more money and get rid of items faster.
8. Offer discounts – Have 2 for 1 discounts or offer buy 1 get 1 free deals. You will get rid of more of your items that way.
9. Sell the right things -Try to get rid of your old baby/toddlers clothing and toys. These are big hits. Again vintage items attract many buyers as well. Avoid dirty items, your old mail, and items that having stuff growing on them. It can cause your customer base to be uninterested.
10. Have a neighborhood sale – To pull in high numbers, try to advertise a neighborhood sale. It will bring in higher numbers, advertising will be less, and you can get away will selling a bit more.
11. Clean your items – If at all possible clean and wash your items as much as possible. It’s sanitary and will make it more likely that a customer will make a purchase.
12. Sale concessions – Sale food like popcorn, lemonade, or hot chocolate depending on the day and the temperature.