Winter can take a toll on your home. This is why you need to prepare it for the upcoming cold and cold winds. One step that can help protect your home from some costly repairs is by inspecting and cleaning your gutters and roof. Here are some easy tips on how you can do this.
1. Begin by cleaning the gutters. You will need a few basic things to do this: a ladder, a pair of gloves, and either a bucket or a bag to collect all the debris you find. Of course, the reason you want to clean your gutters is to keep all rain flowing through and out your gutters easily. If the rain can’t get out of your gutters, the water can freeze and damage them once the temperatures begins to drop.
2. All you have to do is climb up the ladder and begin scooping out all the debris (leaves, branches, etc) out of the gutter. It is as easy as that.
3. If you don’t have the time or just do not want to go through this hassle season after season, you can apply a gutter guard over your gutters to keep the leaves and debris from getting into your gutters and blocking them in the first place. There are many different kinds on the market. Many people say that the vinyl snap in gutter guards on their favorite choices.
4. If you have gutter guards, it still doesn’t hurt to check these once a year to make sure that they still look intact and that your gutters still look clean.
5. Once you are up on the ladder, you should take the time to glace at your roof. It should be completely free of moss and algae. If you do see any, it is time to do some cleaning. Just mix up some water and some bleach and clean the area thoroughly. A good mixture is one that is made up of 5 parts water and one part bleach. Once you have your mixture, just spray it onto any moss or algae areas you see. In a few days, it should all be dead.
Remember the more steps you take to prepare your home for winter, the better prepare it will be for all those harsh winds and temperatures that will be coming (unless you are lucky enough to live in a warm area of the United States).