Whether you are fund raising for your team or trying to make money for your business, camps can generate a lot of revenue if done correctly. Here are some tips to help anyone run a successful camp:
1. Marketing -This is one of the most important things to know about executing a successful camp. You may have the best camp for the best price, but if nobody knows about it then it’s pointless. Sending out flyers to other schools or their coaches, building an informational website, and word of mouth by customers and the instructors involved are some of the best ways that aren’t that expensive. Determine who you are targeting and find the best way to target them through marketing.
2. Clear and easy to understand -Make sure your camp is easy to understand. If it’s too complicated, then that will make it difficult to sell.
3. Find your niche – Find a camp or camps that you, your business, and/or your team are good. Then evaluate the competition in your area to evaluate what type of camp you will run.
4. The right price -Determining the right price can be difficult. Make sure you evaluate other camps that are nation-wide and local making sure are aware of your expenditures.
5. Be different and fill a need -If there is something that people are looking for in a camp, then be creative and fill that void. You will find more success.
6. Be patient -If you don’t succeed completely on the first camp, don’t get frustrated. Camps have a tendency to grow bigger and bigger each year just as long as you are running a successful camp at good prices.
7. Be organized -Make the camps easy to understand. If there are stations are things that the campers need to be made aware of then tell them immediately, have it in writing, and have instructors directing the campers when needed.
8. Have insurance – For the longevity of your camps, make sure you have insurance. Any one incident can be a camp and business killer.
9. Customer service -Keep in mind that the customer is always right and make a big attempt to please the customer base as much as possible.
10. Offer something different – By adding additional service or items like FREE shirts, beverages, or popsicles, can have a very positive effect on the campers and their coaches. Sometimes even allowing parents/coaches to attend for FREE or allow videotaping will make a big difference.
11. Sell Shirts -Sell shirts for the camp to not only make an additional profit but to also help market the camp for future campers.
12. Additional revenue – You can also sell things like bottled water, soda, posters, DVD’s, etc. to make more money for your business and/or team.
13. Discounts for bulk sales -Try to offer discounts for bulk sales or for teams/campers that sign up for more than 1 camp.