Many teams run carwashes during the warmer months to raise money for their own programs. It’s pretty easy. All you have to do is find a location, get some soap, sponges, and wash clothes and you are good to go. But did you know that many car washes don’t live up to their potential? Here are some tips to help your carwash be a successful one.
1. Pick the right date and time – Make sure you pick the right day. Things to consider is the end of the week, days with nothing else local going on, warm days in the spring when everyone wants their car clean, etc.
2. Location, location, location– Pick a location that has a lot of traffic and a lot of space.
3. Make signs– Make signs or bring flags to get the attention of people in traffic. Also place your more attractive people out front in order to get more customers in.
4. Have structure– Make sure you have a proven system when washing the vehicles. It will help get customers in and out faster.
5. Tell your family and give them a time to be there– Make your family aware so that they attend as well as either a customer or volunteer.
6. Send out flyers– Send out flyers to the surrounding neighborhood letting everyone know your cause and the date/time of the carwash.
7. Offer more– Vacuum, wash windshields, or wax the cars for an additional fee.
8. Topless carwash? – Not to say that I agree with this one, but it’s not as bad as it sounds. Your team washes only the bottom part of the car and NOT the top. Then charges an additional fee for the top. This can be a risky choice, but I will only mention it because I know some groups have had success.
9. Divide and conquer– If you have enough people, then run 2 carwashes on the same day for twice the profit.
10. Get volunteers– More volunteers will allow you to take breaks, get through cars faster, and possible run more than 1 carwash.
11. Pre-sale tickets– Pre-sale tickets for additional profit. Chances are that half of the will not even show up.
12. Take donations – Have a donation can or bucket and accept donations from willing customers. Make sure you market the donation can as well.
13. Wash-a-thon– You can always have the team get pledges for each car washed, then wash the cars for free.
14. Utilize your cuteness– You want to use the more energetic and attractive individuals for your marketing and selling part of the carwash. It really does make a big difference.