The chill of winter is about to whip in and with just a few warm staples in your closet you can be dressed and toasty for just about any occasion in a snap. Choose some pieces in classic shapes and fabrics to last you for years to come. Choose some other pieces in trendy colors and fabrics to make your wardrobe modern and up to date. Mix and match with ease and you’ll have plenty of playful and serious outfits to choose from! Here are my top ten winter staples.
1. Two Great pairs of boots: one dressy, one casual. I must confess; I have seven pairs of boots hiding in my closet. But honestly, I mostly just wear two pairs of them. One pair is a good quality, high heeled, black leather boot that can be polished to look like a million bucks. The other pair is an inexpensive, flat pair of black boots trimmed in faux fur. I wear one of the two pair just about every day because they go with everything.
2. Camisoles. Camisoles are a year round staple in my wardrobe. They make great layered tanks in the hottest days of summer, and are fab for layering and extra warmth in the winter. A good fabric is cotton as it allows your skin to breathe and won’t trap moisture, which can cause even the best skinned-girl to develop a dreaded case of acne. Have a variety of colors on hand to coordinate with every outfit.
3. A pretty blouse or two. Just make sure it has some trendy details and colors that match your other staples. Pick a statement piece if you are brave: floral details, ruffles, bright colors. Choose a crisp white oxford if you are more conservative in your tastes. You can always wear a cami underneath for added warmth, added color, or for plain old modesty’s sake.
4. A button down cardigan. Mine is black with a ruffly trim, and three quarter sleeved so I can have my hands totally free to work. Just make sure the sleeves are not a mile too short to layer with your blouses; although it is ok for the cuff of your blouse to hang out of your sleeve a bit.
5. A skinny tea length skirt. Believe it or not; this skirt is the hottest thing to hit the fashion scene for winter. I am thrilled because they are warm, easy to wear, and slimming. And because I already own one! Try a neutral color like camel or gray. Mix and match with a t-shirt and belt, your pretty blouse, or a cami and blazer.
6. Black pants. Forget what’s hot – invest in a pair of trousers that make your body shape look great. Make sure they are well made and in a fabric that won’t fade. Boot cut are always a good idea, and pants with a bit of flare in the legs will balance out some curvalicious hips.
7. Skinny jeans or boyfriend cut jeans. If you like skinny jeans, you can tuck them into either pair of boots, but if you like the boyfriend cut, which is a little looser and a little more forgiving of those fuller figures, you can tight roll them at the bottom (hello, eighties!) and wear them OVER your boots. Either is fine and right on trend!
8. Sweater Dress. Shoot for an A-line or a wrap dress – both are figure flattering. Layer with the camisole and cardigan, or even the blazer for a more professional image. If you can’t take the heat, try a simple sheath dress with a heavy fabric which has a little stretch to it. You can layer it beautifully with your button shirt underneath, your cardigan over top, or a cami.
9. Black t-shirt. Simple and understated: wear with jeans and blazer, the skinny skirt and belt, or with your black pants. Try on different cuts until you find one that you love. A V-neck is slimming, but a boat neck will help make narrow shoulders broader. A higher neck line will minimize a larger bust line.
10. Blazer. Try jeans, t-shirt and blazer with the sleeves rolled up for a casual look, or wear with black trousers or the skinny skirt for a professional image. For a bolder look, layer with your sweater AND your blouse. Or, pair with your button oxford or cami for an ultra conservative day.
You don’t need a large wardrobe if you have the right pieces to mix and match into the look you want. Keep these items organized, clean, and in your closet and you will always have something to wear, even in a hurry. Add personality with your favorite jewelry, hairstyle, and handbag. And don’t forget to polish those boots!
Read more from this contributor:
Shopping Therapy for a Little Green Blouse at Target
How to Wear Fashion Trends Without Showing Too Much Skin