Even though I was born in Money-Earnin’ Mount Vernon & went back there for high school, I grew up & got into the industry as a Long Island, NY (Strong Island) resident! These are some of the things in hip-hop that made me proud to be from Strong Island!
1. “Strong Island” by JVC FORCE (For Obvious Reasons Concerning Entertainment). For obvious reasons ofcourse. “Living In C.I. Who The Hell Am I…” (Shout to B Luv and Curt Cazal).
2. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back & Fear of a Black Planet albums by Public Enemy. I know this was supposed to be songs but their entire body of work had my proud to be from Strong Island.
3. “My Melody” by Eric B & Rakim. There are far too many Rakim joints to name one but the most memorable lines were. “I take 7 MC’s put them in a line/ And add 7 more brothers who think they can rhyme/ Well, it’ll take 7 more before I go for mine/ And that’s 21 MC’s ate up at the same time.” Classic I don’t care where you’re from!
4. “Nobody Beat the Biz” by Biz Markie. The song title says it all, cause no body beat the Biz in what he did and shout to T.J. Swan also from C.I. (Central Islip).
5. “It’s My Thing/ You’re A Customer” by EPMD. These cats were the first on the East Coast to really use that funk that the West Coast was known for. And that became there patented songs and inspired many to dig in the crates to find the funk!
6. “Most Beautifullest Thing” by Keith Murray. I was just proud to see one of the younger cats around my way hold it down.
7. “Plug Tunin'” by De La Soul. The creativity and boldness not to do what everyone else was doing. Their dared to be different and push the envelop so to speak. A breath of fresh air from the overused break break samples!
8. “Flava In Ya Ear (remix)” by Craig Mack. I mean come on, who don’t love the remix with Biggie, LL, Busta and Rampage?
9. “Spellbound” by K. Solo. Again proud to see my dude I grew up with and went to school with get his shine and do his thing!
10. “Case Of The P.T.A” & “Sobb Story” by Leaders Of The New School. These cats brought back the days of Cold Crush Brothers and The Treacherous 3 in their songs, routines and stage performances.
Honorable Mentions: “Mahogany” – Eric B & Rakim (one of my favorite joints from Ra as well), “Get Retarded” – MC EZ and Troop (early, early Craig Mack- shout to DJ Diamond J)
Those born In Strong Island who I was proud to see shine: LL Cool J (Bay Shore), DMC (Wyandanch), Method Man (Westbury & Hempstead), Prince Paul (The creator of the Skit, what more can I say from Amityville), Prodigy (Hempstead), just to name a few who held it down….
Radio Shows that made me proud to be from Strong Island- Wildman Steve WBAU Adelphi University, Garden City and Jeff Foss (Hofstra University- Hempstead)
Writer who made me proud to be from Strong Island and made want to write for a living- Harry Allen The Hip-Hop Media Assassin (Yo Harry, you’re a writer, are we that type? Don’t believe the hype)
Big up to everyone who ever did, and still holds it down for Strong Island!!!