When you’re young, skin care routines don’t appear to matter as much as they do when you’re older-but they do. Starting early with proper skin care prevents many symptoms of aging later in life, like deep wrinkles, sun spots and dry skin. The Mayo Clinic suggests five ways to keep your skin healthy:
• Protect the skin from sun exposure
• Don’t smoke
• Avoid drying it out with harsh soaps or hot water
• Eat a diet filled with nutrients
• Manage stress
While these are ideal lifestyle choices to keep skin as young as possible, there are plenty of beauty products you may use in addition to your daily routine to help keep your skin moisturized and healthy looking . InStyle Magazine presents ’50 Best Skin-Care Tips of All Time’, and here are the five most important daily skin care tips you should follow:
1. Exfoliate longer, not harder. Exfoliating is a perfect way to remove the dry or dull layer of off your skin. For days you want deep exfoliation, it’s better if you do it longer rather than harder-which may irritate and dry out skin. Exfoliate the skin in a circular motion, avoiding the delicate eye area.
2. Slather on that SPF. Sunscreen is one of the most important products to put on your skin to prevent signs of early aging, which includes wrinkles, sunspots and dry skin. InStyle Magazine suggests adding the SPF to the face with a cosmetic sponge to help it penetrate the skin for a more thorough application.
3. Cleanse your face twice if needed. If you wear lots of makeup, cleansing it off once is often not enough to get away all of the makeup, dirt and grime. First, cleanse off the makeup using a makeup remover and cleanser. Once you have your skin exposed, cleanse it again with a hydrating cleaner that wipes away dirt and excess oil. Start from the neck and move upward toward the forehead, rubbing in a circular motion.
4. Apply products in order. To ensure your products are doing their best, apply them in order from the thinnest to thickest. For example, apply a serum to the skin, followed by a moisturizer and then sunscreen.
5. Use Fragrance Free. InStyle Magazine suggests using products that say ‘Fragrance Free’ over formulas listed as ‘Unscented’. Fragrance Free formulas don’t contain anything with aromatics in them, which will help your sensitive skin from becoming irritated. Unscented formulas may still contain essential oils with aromatics, which may lead to skin irritation.