The game of college football has evolved over the years and the smaller schools are now more able to upset the powerhouse teams. It’s all a part of a system where parity has become the norm. The current level of parity in the system as a whole makes it all that much more impressive that some schools have been able to dominate their respective conferences and end up at the top of the rankings on a consistent basis. Which teams have been the best in college football since the 2000’s began?
Top Five College Football Programs Since 2000
5. Texas Longhorns- Mack Brown and the Longhorns have been good every year and they were superb in the 2006 Rose Bowl as they defeated USC. Vince Young had what may have been the most memorable game in college football history, and Colt McCoy continued the winning traidition all the way to a National Championship appearance in 2010.
4. Florida Gators- The Gators would be higher on this list if it weren’t for the years of Ron Zook. Florida hasn’t been as good on a consistent basis since 2000 as most of the others on this list. Since Urban Meyer has taken over, this team has been as good as anyone in all of college football. Now it is their chance to prove they can do it without Tebow at the helm.
3. Ohio State Buckeyes- It has been popular to bash the Buckeyes over the last few years as they fell short in a couple of BCS National Title games, but this team has been in the top five almost every year. Last year’s Rose Bowl win seems to have brought them back to higher heights again, and this is a team that could be doing some damage in the next few years as well.
2. LSU Tigers- The Tigers have won the title twice since 2000 and they have done with superior athletes in the toughest conference in college football. LSU hasn’t had any terrible years like some of the other teams that were great since 2000, and those two national titles pull a lot of weight.
1. USC Trojans- The USC Trojans are in trouble now with the NCAA, but up until this point they have been the dominate team since 2000. Pete Carroll is gone now and the Lane Kiffin era has begun, but Carroll built a powerhouse at USC. The Trojans have brought their best for the big games consistently since 2000, and they deserve the top spot.