Recently Conan O’Brien drove an explosive laden car off of a 900 ft. cliff in an effort to garner publicity for his new show on TBS which premieres on November 8th. Although it is hard to tell from the video, it appears that Conan’s hair actually caught fire after the stunt. This has lead many commentators to question if Conan has gone too far. The video can be seen here: Watch Conan Fly Off a Cliff. Listed below are the top ten other Conan O’Brien publicity stunts which have taken a turn for the worse:
1. About two months ago the New York Post reported that O’Brien tried to jump off the Empire State building with a bungee cord made from nothing more than floss and rubber bands.
2. In 2009 O’Brien paid Taco Bell to give everybody in the United States a special “Conan Taco” made with shredded chicken, sour cream, guacamole, raisins, cinnamon, hot peppers and hummus to celebrate his birthday.
3. Several times when hosting the Tonight show, O’Brien tried to be the first person to eat 200 hot dogs in less than three minutes, and each time he has vomited after downing around 100 franks.
4. During a sketch about the disgruntled airline steward who quit by using an airplane’s inflatable escape slide, O’Brien tried to open an emergency exit on a plane that was cruising at 32,000 feet above San Diego.
5. In an effort to get more viewers for the Tonight Show, O’Brien gave away free bottles of beer and blowtorches to the first 100 guests each night. However, local police complained when the arson rate went up an amazing 160,000% in one week.
6. The whole affair involving the flying pigs and flammable marshmallows.
7. During Halloween, in 2009, Conan dressed up as a recently released ex-con and went Trick or Treating by asking people if they would, “give a convict some candy.” Police responded to the scene which many many people didn’t realize was a publicity stunt.
8. Conan spent three months in the Arctic living in a 30 ft.² wooden shack that was heated only by a candle made out of whales’ blubber while he blogged constantly about his mild disappointment about losing the Tonight Show and the fear that he would be eat by polar pairs.
9. In 2008 Conan secretly traveled to Gitmo and lived on the army base for three weeks by disguising himself as a barrel of sardines.
10. Conan’s attempt to travel across the country on roller skates took an unexpectedly dangerous turn when the talk show host visited the Grand Canyon and almost plunged to the valley below. A small child with a jump rope saved his life.
For the top 10 Top Ten 2012 Campaign Secrets Revealed by Vice President Joe Biden click here.