Makeup trends come and go, but the basic principals of makeup application stand the test of time. Practice them, experiment with colors, and love the face you see in the mirror. Use these basic tips and simple steps to bring out the most beautiful you. You’ll be glad you did.
1. Get your skin gorgeous. Use a great cleanser, toner, and moisturizer twice a day to get your skin looking its very best. Look for a formula that meets your most basic skin care concerns. Products with salicylic acid treats acne, hyaluronic acid provides moisture, and products such as alpha hydroxy acids and retinol help fight aging. Make sure you take your makeup off every single night to keep your skin clear.
2. Use foundation primer to set the stage for a fab finish. Foundation primer helps your your foundation go on smoothly and evenly, and last all day. Some formulas can minimize pores, wrinkles, fight blemishes, and suppress shine.
3. Fake flawless. Even with the best skincare, blemishes can sneak up on you. So can dark circles, puffy eyes, sun spots, and uneven skin tones. Dab a dot of concealer on anything you want to hide, and gently blend with your pinky finger or a synthetic brush. Use a shade that exactly matches your skin tone if possible.
4. Build your foundation. Start with just a little, and blend with your clean fingertips or a damp makeup sponge. Be careful not to wipe away the concealer, but blend your foundation carefully over top. To choose the right foundation color, try several different shades on your clean jawline. The color that disappears is the best color for you.
5. Less is more. Way more. When applying any makeup, always start with the least amount possible. Add more as needed. It is much easier to add color than it is to take it away, or worse yet, have to start over and wash your face.
6. Color yourself beautiful. You can contour your face with your makeup colors if you follow one single rule: light colors bring forward or draw attention, dark colors recede and minimize attention. For example, if your eyes are deep set, shading them with darker colors will just make you look like you have two black eyes. On the other hand, if you stick with lighter colors, your deep set eyes will shine.
7. Prep your peepers. An eye primer will help your eye color last all day. Follow with a shadow that brings out your eyes: purple is great for green or brown eyes, peach shadows for blue, and plum colors for hazel. Line your eyes with a deeper shade of your eye shadow: dark purples, deep browns, and soft black are great choices. Curl your lashes to open your eyes and follow with two coats of mascara to wake up your entire face.
8. Feel a little flushed? The warmth in your cheeks that shows up after a brisk walk around the block is the perfect color for your blush. Apply lightly on the apples of your cheeks for a youthful glow.
9. Powder your nose. Pressed powder sets your makeup and helps hold it in place all day long. Keep it handy throughout the day for quick touchups. Choose a color that matches your foundation, and apply with a big, soft fluffly blush whenever you can.
10. Stains are actually a good thing! Lip stains, that is. They are an up-to-the-minute take on lip color. Choose a color slightly darker than your natural lip color for fresh faced, youthful look. A great lip color wakes up your face, finishes your look, and enhances your smile!