Are you wondering what type of gift to give that special dog in your life for Christmas this year but don’t have a lot of money to spend? If this sounds like you then you may want to give your dog a Christmas gift that’s homemade and from the heart. There are several simple and inexpensive pet toys that even the most craft challenged individual can make for their canine companion. Two of the most inexpensive and easy to make dog toys that your pet is sure to love receiving as Christmas gifts this holiday season are a soft ball and a tug toy. Both are made out of upcycled fleece from old blankets which makes them an eco-friendly homemade Christmas gift choice for your dog.
Two Homemade Fleece Dog Toys You Can Make As Christmas Gifts For Your Dog
Homemade Soft Ball Christmas Gift For Dogs
Made out of fleece strips cut from an old blanket this ball is super soft making it easy for you to throw and your dog to catch. Best of all because its so soft you can play indoors without having to worry that you’ll break a window.
Old fleece blanket
3″x 5″ piece of cardboard.
1. Use the yard stick and chalk to measure and mark five 48 inch by 1 inch strips of fleece.
2. Cut all five strips out and set to the side.
3. Next measure and mark one 1 inch by twelve inch sreip of fleece.
4, Cut the shorter strip of fleece out and set aside.
5. Take one of the 48 inch strips of fleece and begin wrapping around the 3 inch width of the cardboard. When you get to the end of the strip add another strip and continue wrapping until you’ve used all five strips.
6. Take the 12 inch strip and slide it underneath the wrapped strips.
7. While holding on to either end of the smaller fleece strip gently slide the fleece off of the cardboard and use the short strip of fleece to tie a knot in the center of the wrapped fleece.
8. Use the scissors to snip each of the fleece loops in half on either side of the knot.
9. Once all of the loops have been cut you can make the ball smaller by grasping all of the ends and cutting as much fleece off as desired to make smaller compact ball or leave the fleece as is for a larger loose ball.
Homemade Tug Toy Christmas Gift For Dogs
This fun tug toy for dogs only takes a few minutes to make but will provide your dog with hours of fun as they retrieve it when its thrown and then engage you in a tug of war over who gets it.
Old fleece blanket
Two rubber bands
1. Use the ruler and chalk to measure and mark three 48 inch by 3 inch fleece strips.
2. Cut the strips apart.
3, Stack the three strips on top of each other and place a rubber band 4 inches from the edge of the fleece to secure the strips in place.
4.Starting at the rubber band begin to tightly braid the three strips together stopping about four inches from the end of the fleece and secure with the second rubber band
5. To maker the fleece braid tighter tie a knot in the center of the braid and make another at either end of the braid just above where the braid stops.
6. Snip the rubber bands in half and remove.
7. Use the scissors to cut each strip up to the knot to give your dog toy a fringed look.