Who says corn cannot be delicious unless it is smothered in salt and butter? This is a wonderful, easy vegan side dish that is a hit with vegetarians and meat eaters alike. This recipe uses no butter or animal by-products and the fresh herbs and spices make it a real flavorful dish. This is also a big hit with the kids because the corn on the cob is cut into smaller pieces that make them easy to eat as a finger food. This has become a staple when it comes to family BBQ’s and once you eat corn on the cob this way you will never want to eat it any other way.
4-6 whole ears of fresh sweet uncooked corn (without the husk)
½ cup of fresh chopped cilantro
1-2 fresh limes cut into small wedges
Wet Spice Rub:
½ cup of fresh lime juice
2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp ground chili powder or cayenne pepper (varies on how spicy you like it)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the wet spice rub ingredients and set aside (this can be made up to 24 hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator to help the flavors marry, but it is not necessary to do so).
2. Blanch corn in boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
4. Brush the individual ears of corn with the wet spice rub making sure that they are evenly coated on all sides.
5. Place individual corn cobs on a hot grill; do not turn until you see black grill marks. Turn corn over and get grill marks on the other side of the corn, brushing with the wet spice rub as needed. Once grill marks are set, remove from the grill and set aside.
5. Use a cutting board and a sharp knife to cut each corn cob into 3-4 pieces.
6. Place cut corn in a large bowl and add any remaining wet spice rub. Add chopped cilantro and lime wedges. Mix thoroughly and serve.