A trio at the U. S. Open made it possible Thursday to now add tennis (with the aid of video) to the list of sports that can be placed in that old one-liner, “I went to a fight the other night and a tennis match broke out.”
According to the New York Daily News, a young man got into an altercation with a woman that subsequently led to a physical confrontation between the young man and an older man, who seemed to be accompanying the woman. Since the incident, the U. S. Open fight video has hit YouTube and gone viral.
It all started during the U. S. Open match between Novak Djokovic and Philipp Petzschner when a dark-haired woman took exception to a particularly loud and abrasive young man and his expletive-filled usage of the English language. The young man stood face-to-face with the woman in the stands at Arthur Ashe Stadium and continued to use colorful jargon in his own defense.
Then the woman smacked him.
Surprisingly, the fight did not begin at that moment. The young man laughed it off, clapping his hands. He said, “C’mon, smack me again. Go ahead … I don’t give a f— what anybody wants. I got a lot of money on this game, and I f—— paid for my ticket.”
The verbal sparring, which included exaggerating waving and gesticulating by both participants, seemed to wane. Then the young man yelled, “You f—— made me miss half the game, because you’re being a f—— idiot!”
The woman had traded places with the older man, who had been standing down the row of bleachers behind the woman observing the verbal volleying. After hearing the woman being called an idiot, he grabbed the young man by the throat. The two seemed to grapple, then toppled over into the seats below them.
The older man stayed down for some time, but the young man quickly rose. He was then rushed by the woman, who also seemed to go for the young man’s throat. He shoved her away. Several men descended on the scuffle, many grabbing and attempting to restrain the younger man.
The Novak Djokovic-Philipp Petzschner match was halted while the fracas was controlled and the unruly fighters were led away. Even the players stood and watched as the trio were handcuffed and marched off.
They later were let go when they failed to press charges against each other.
The three participants have been banned from Flushing Meadows until 2013. U. S. Tennis Association officials told the Daily News that if any of the three appeared at the U. S. Open this season or the next, they would be arrested for trespassing. The names of the U. S. Open fight participants were not disclosed.
The video of the U. S. Open fight follows.