The word or name Joe is bandied about quite a lot. It refers to a favorite drink of many Americans, it is the first name of a lot of well-known people and it’s even an acronym for Job Openings for Economists. The question is how much do you know about Joe?
1) “Say it ain’t so, Joe,” relates to what famous Joe in sports?
a) Joe Namath
b) Joe Louis
c) Shoeless Joe Jackson
d) Joe DiMaggio
2) How did coffee get the nickname Joe?
a) The man who invented it was named Joe
b) It was named after a song written in 1860 called “Old Black Joe”
c) The first coffee bean came from San Jose, Columbia in South America
d) Joe refers to a method for grinding coffee beans
3) The city of Joe is in what state?
a) North Carolina
4) What sport annually honors the “All-Joe team?”
5) Joe is a character in what Mario game?
a) Mario Bros.
b) Mario Golf
c) Super Mario Bros.
d) Mario is Missing
6) The first G. I. Joe action figure was in which branch of the military?
a) Army only
b) Army and navy
c) Army, navy and marines
d) Army, navy, air force and marines
7) “Joe” is a 1970 film starring what actor?
a) Gene Hackman
b) Robert Duvall
c) Warren Beatty
d) Peter Boyle
8) In the 2008 presidential campaign, an average, working-class American became known as Joe the what?
b) Brick Mason
1) Legend has it that Shoeless Joe Jackson was leaving the courthouse during the 1919 World Series scandal and grand jury trial, when a young boy begged of him, “Say it ain’t so, Joe.”
2) The leading theory connects the nickname to an 1860 song by Stephen Collins Foster, “Old Black Joe.” And the American Heritage Dictionary seems to agree. However if you read the lyrics, there is no mention of coffee.
3) Joe, North Carolina, is an unincorporated area south-southwest of Hot Springs, in Madison County, NC. The community is part of the Asheville Metropolitan Statistical Area.
4) The All-Joe team honors the overlooked, the overachievers, the hard-working guys named “Joe” who don’t grab the headlines. It gets its name from Joe Phillips, an NFL defensive tackle for 14 years with the San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs, St. Louis Rams and Minnesota Vikings.
5) Joe is a human character in Mario Golf and Mario Golf: Advance Tour. MarioGolf is a series of games that feature Mario and his friends hitting the links at Mushroom World.
6) G.I. Joe is a line of action figures produced by the toy company Hasbro. The initial product offering represented four of the branches of the U.S. armed forces with the Soldier (Army), Action Sailor (Navy), Action Pilot (Air Force) and Action Marine (Marines).
7) Joe, played by Peter Boyle, is a hate-filled factory worker who befriends Bill, a rich man who has a secret. And, btw, there are five other movies (1924, 1966, 1997, 2003, 2004) listed on the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) with the title of “Joe,” not to mention a myriad of other movie titles that include the name, such as Clint Eastwood’s “Joe Kidd” and the ape movie, “Mighty Joe Young.”
8) As an employee of a plumbing contractor, Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher was given the nickname “Joe the Plumber” after he was videotaped questioning then-Democratic candidate Barack Obama during the 2008 presidential campaign. The Republican campaign later used “Joe the Plumber” as a metaphor for middle-class Americans.