If you have children over the age of three then they have probably already starting asking for electronics and technology. Children want all types of electronic products and gadgets, and they are starting at very young ages. They all want a cell phone, laptop, MP3, digital camera, game systems and book readers. Once you decide to buy them one of these items you have to find ones that are age appropriate for your children. If you are looking for a Christmas gift or just an everyday item here are some of the top electronic items for children, and what their best features are.
1) Click n’ Create by LeapFrog – Perfect for children ages four to nine, this camera is both lightweight and sturdy. It has an easy to grip plastic casing that also protects the camera if it is dropped. It also comes with video-editing software so when your children up load their photos to your computer than can have some fun with them. This perfect starter camera retails for about $50.00.
2) Kidizoom by Vetch – This camera is better for children with larger hands since it is a bit bulkier. If you are looking for a Christmas gift this is good children around five to nine years old. It has a great editing software that lets them change and play with the photos they have taken right on the camera. For about $60.00 this camera records good quality video also.
3) U-Turn Digital Camera – My last choice for digital cameras are a cool little electronic gift all children will love. Recommended for kids ages seven to fourteen it retails for only $50.00. The best thing about this camera is it allows your children to take photos of themselves and their friends together. The camera lens pivots 180 degrees so it is on the same side as the LCD screen. They will think this gift is the coolest thing since sliced bread.
1) glowPhone by Firefly – One of the original cell phones designed with children in mind has gotten some great updates. With this cell phone you can store fifty phone numbers and it can receive texts but your children cannot send any. Perfect for children who you do not want to see them get addicted to texting. It is suggested for children from as young as eight up to eighteen years old. The phone cost about $50.00 and you can get a call phone plan starting as low as $5.00 per month. It has wonderful parental controls, and plans that have limited calling so you can control how much time your children spend on their cell phones. This cell phone is the perfect electronic present if you want to get a child a cell phone but want to try to protect them from over usage.
2) Kajeet – This cell phone is the perfect choice for parents who want to allow their kids to have a cell phone but worry about dangers. From your computer you can set times when the cell phone will not work, eliminating late night phone calls when they should be asleep. You can also block certain phone numbers, activate a GPS locater that comes in the phone and even designate which contacts they can text to. Yes many children will fuss that you are controlling these features, but remind them how lucky they are to have a cell phone at all. They also will love that you can get them cool phones like a LG Rumor which features a built in camera and full qwerty keyboard. The service plans start at $5.00 per month, phones start as low as $25.00 but be aware the LG Rumor is $200.00. This is great for children from eight until eighteen or older.
1) Ribbit by Nextar – This cute little frog design makes this MP3 player a perfect holiday gift choice for only $10.00. Great for younger children age five to about nine who want music but you do not want to invest a ton of money on electronics for such young kids. It holds up to a thousand songs and is the perfect pocket size. The little frog is so adorable the song selection and volume are controlled by the frog’s googly eyes.
2) Hello Kitty MP3 Player – If you want to purchase a music player that a girl will love who doesn’t love Hello Kitty, I even do. For only $30.00 you can get your child this cute pink MP3 with Hello Kitty on it and a pink and purple heart design. It is easy to use and has a lot of room for music. The feature they will love the most is that the faceplates are changeable so they can customize it to their style.
3) Disney Mix Stick Lights – Last on my list of perfect electronic Christmas gift retails for $40.00. This MP3 player is a great choice for children ages six to twelve. This player comes with software you use to connect to Disney mix central, it is Disney’s version of iTunes where they can set up a play list and download songs. You still have the freedom to download music for them from any other MP3 source. Most popular feature on this music player is the lights on the MP3 flash to the beat of whatever song they are playing. With all these wonderful choices there are electronics for children of all ages that will also make their parents happy.
Christopher Healy, “The Best of Kid Tech”; Parenting ,109-113