This is a great dessert for you to wow your dinner guests with at Thanksgiving, and it is so easy to make! It doesn’t require any exotic ingredients; everything you need can be purchased at your local grocery store. Time from start to finish: about 1-1/2 hours.
- 12 ounces French bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup milk (do not use low-fat or nonfat)
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 18 ounces good-quality white chocolate (such as Lindt or Baker’s),coarsely chopped
- 7 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
Preheat oven to 275°F. Put bread cubes on a baking sheet. Put in the oven and bake until light golden and dry, about 10 minutes. Allow the bread pieces to cool completely.
Increase oven temperature to 350°F.
Combine 3 cups whipping cream (reserve 1/2 cup), milk, condensed milk, and 1/2 cup sugar in heavy large saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Stir it continually until all of the sugar has dissolved. While the mixture is warming up whisk together the eggs and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl.
Remove the milk/sugar mixture from heat. Add 10 ounces of the white chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Gradually whisk warm chocolate mixture into the bowl with the eggs.
Place the bread cubes in a 2-quart glass baking dish. Add half of chocolate mixture, pressing the bread cubes into the chocolate mixture. Let stand 15 minutes. Gently mix in the remaining chocolate mixture and cover the dish with foil.
Put the pudding in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for about 15 minutes or until top is golden brown. Remove pudding from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
Bring remaining 1/2 cup cream to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Remove saucepan from heat. Add remaining 8 ounces white chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
Drizzle the white chocolate sauce over the pudding and serve warm.
* For garnish: add chocolate shavings if desired!
* Add 1 Tbsp. of vanilla extract for a slightly different taste!
* This dish can be prepared one day in advance if desired. Merely reheat the pudding and the sauce and serve warm.