How can we as women, mothers, and wives find ways to care for our “whole” selves when we are so busy with everyone else’s needs? We can and should start by weaving a little sweetness into our lives. We should honor all the neglected parts of ourselves with small tokens of acknowledgement. If we start filling up one part of our life, it will naturally start spilling into the other parts of ourselves because all of our parts are connected.
Start filling your life with a little sweetness by writing your personal “Sweet Stuff menu.” Make a list of things that make you happy, smile, feel recharged, brings you joy, feel loved, and encourages you. Keep the list going by adding to it and keep it posted where you can see it daily as a reminder to do something to add “sweetness” to your day.
During the course of your day, when you have a small snippet of time, fill the time with one of the sweet things you have on your list. When you are bored, frustrated, or disengaged, just reach for your “sweet stuff” list instead of eating for comfort.
Use my “Sweet Stuff” list below as a springboard for creating one of your own.
1. Grab a good book and read for a quick escape into another world.
2. Keep a coloring book with crayons handy and color a page. Coloring is relaxing and doesn’t have to be just for your kids.
3. Give yourself a quick shoulder rub.
4. Pop some popcorn and watch an inspiring movie.
5. Take a brisk short walk to re-energize.
6. Give someone you love a big, long bear hug.
7. Make a list of things you’re thankful for.
8. Take a quick bubble bath.
9. Take a quick cat nap.
10. Put on some relaxing music and just sit or lie down with your eyes closed and listen.
11. Breath in some fragrant essential oil.
12. Call your girlfriend for a little girl talk.
13. Handwrite a letter to a dear friend or family member.
14. Day dream about a place you’ve always wanted to visit.
15. Sip a cup of your favorite beverage and sit at a window and just stare at nature for a few minutes.
16. Soak your feet in Epsom salts and warm water.
17. Buy some fresh flowers for your bedroom.
18. Join a yoga class or book club.
19. Just sit in silence and meditate.
20. Change into comfy clothes and stretch out all of your body parts.
21. Record your thoughts in a journal.
22. Breath in and out deeply for a few minutes to calm down.
23. Cuddle with your pet.
24. Smile at someone.
25. Meet a friend for lunch or coffee and dessert.
Do something on your list daily, and soon you will realize how much this small exercise will positively affect your health and well-being. You will also discover how easy it will be to add other “sweet stuff” things to your growing list.
Take care of yourself so you can take care of others!