Recently, I’ve been experimenting with making homemade vegetable soup, using various vegetables and different soup stocks. This week, I stumbled on an incredible mix of vegetables, stock and seasonings that simply knocked my socks off – so much so I’m calling it the ‘World’s Best Vegetable Soup’, not only for the amazing fresh taste, but also because it’s cheap, low-fat, healthy and easy to make.
2 pork bouillon cubes (you can also use chicken or vegetable if you like)
3 cups of water and 1./2 cup of water
3 large kale leaves
1 large red pepper
half a head of cabbage
half a small squash
1 large carrot
1 small onion
half an apple
4 long green beans
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 can (or 1/4 of a jar) of Prego tomato and basil spaghetti sauce
salt and pepper to taste
Making the ‘World’s Best Vegetable Soup’ is easy and fast and a very cheap meal. It also only cooks for 30 minutes so, from starting to prepare to serving, this delicious vegetable soup takes less than an hour.
1. Dissolve the 2 pork bouillon cubes in the 3 cups of water and pour into a large saucepan. (I cook mine in a rice cooker, but it does the same basic job as a saucepan).
2.Chop the 3 kale leaves, one quarter of the half a head of cabbage, the red pepper and half of the carrot and put into a blender, add the 1/2 a cup of water and turn on high. Blend everything together for about three minutes, until you’re left with a pureed paste.
3. Add the paste to the bouillon cubes and water and mix. Now chop the other half of the head of cabbage, the other half of the large carrot, the squash, the onion, the green beans and the half apple and add to the bouillon cube and pureed vegetable mixture.
4. Mix in 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric and 1/2 a can (or 1/4 jar) of Prego tomato and basil spaghetti sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix all the ingredients together, turn the saucepan on high and wait for the mixture to boil.
5. As soon as the soup boils, turn down the heat to simmer, stir, cover the pan and leave simmering for 25-30 minutes. (Because you pureed half of the vegetables, this vegetable soup does not need to be cooked as long as other vegetable soups do).
6. Take the soup off the heat, spoon into bowls and serve with hunks of fresh wholewheat bread and dollops of salted butter.
This mixture made enough vegetable soup for me for five very large meals, so will serve 4-6 people easily. It’s cheap, fast and easy to make and incredibly tasty. Plus, with less than 200 calories a bowl, it’s a wonderful meal if you’re on a diet, and healthy too.
** Note, other than the half can of Prego tomato and basil spaghetti sauce, everything in this soup is made with fresh vegetables. No canned veg, no frozen veg, only fresh. That’s one big reason why it tastes so good.