Do you need to lose weight? Are you tired all the time? Are you fighting a disease? Could a DNA Diet be beneficial to you?
Many people are trying what is called a DNA or personalized diet. These are diets that are catered to them specifically. They are going on these diets to help combat diseases, to help them lose weight or to just achieve better overall health.
How are these diets personalized? There are several different ways that you can get a personalized diet.
First, you can go to a special doctor that specializes in genetic markers. In Ohio, Dr. Glen Aukerman from the OSU Medical Center specializes in this type of treatment. He gives his patients treatment advice after taking blood and tracing their genetic markers and tracing their ancestry genes. This gives him clues as to what his patient should and shouldn’t be eating. An example of this is a patient who comes from European ancestry shouldn’t be eating foods made from gluten since they have a Celtic gene that usually means that they have an intolerance to gluten foods.
Yet, this is only one form of personalized diet plans and one way in which doctors helps to personalize a diet plan for their patients. Another way is nutritional blood testing. Usually this is performed in a combination of parts:
• First a doctor will have a patient fill out a detailed health history
• Then a ph level test is performed
• Finally a blood sample is performed and the doctor actually checks the live blood cells. He/she looks for weakness in the red and white cells, including movement, size and shape.
What are the advantages of having a personalized diet plan or a DNA diet done for you?
• You can find out exactly what foods you may be missing out in your current diet plan
• You may find out what foods you should be avoiding
• You can find out what vitamins and minerals you are lacking
• These diets are usually done by professional doctors
• You actually have a real chance of losing weight and feeling better
What are the disadvantages of having a personalized diet plan or a DNA diet done for you?
• These plans may not be covered by your insurance and they could be expensive. To avoid any confusion on costs, ask how much each consultation will cost you and if any of these costs are usually paid for by insurance
Could you actually lose weight while being on a personalized diet plan or DNA diet?
• If you actually begin to eat healthier you can lose weight
• If you begin to feel better so you can exercise more, you can lose weight
Will a DNA diet plan work for you?
• Only if you give it a real chance and you stick to the plan that the doctor advises
ABC News, WSYX Channel 6